40

Harley's POV

"Harley," a deep bone-chilling voice spoke behind us. "I didn't expect to see you here." I could hear the amusement in his voice.

"Dad!" Avery smiled. "She just got here! I just opened the door, and there she was!!" Avery flashes me a giant smile, then grabbed my shoulder and gently twirled me around, so I was facing him. Daniel's aged significantly since the last time I'd seen him. His frown lines were deeper, and his hair was a terrifying array of salt and pepper. He had a formal suit on, and behind him were five officers in their usual attire. Guns were strapped into the leather harnesses on their hips. It should've made me nervous to see those large firearms within arms reach, but after seeing Xander and all the guys carrying them so frequently, I got used to the sight. Not sure if that was a good thing or not.

"I can't believe it either." He said, kind of breathless, but his eyes still bore into mine.

"Hi, Mr. Miller." I waved softly to him. My movements were rigid, and my facial expression showed anything but excitement.

"I'm so glad your back, Harley." He knew I knew. I could tell from the look in his eyes. The joy in his smirk. It was obvious with every twist of his wrist and flick of his eyes.

"Thanks, I'm g-glad to be home." That is all I could manage out. The air in the room turned cold. The smell of musk and trapped breath circulated the air. I took everything in me not to twist my face in disgust.

"Sorry I couldn't do more to help you, Harley." Daniel paused and sighed for a more dramatic effect. "Avery and I tried really hard to bring you home." He smiled and said like this was all a casual conversation. It was frightening and how he hid emotion.

"It's okay." I nodded stiffly. "I understand."

"I was just telling her about that," Avery said, not picking up the weird atmosphere at all.

"I didn't expect you to be here, Harley, but since you are, I guess I should just come right out and tell you that I was just talking about you to these fine officers." He said, giving Avery a small smile. "We've been looking at all the information we gained on your case. They were trying to close the case, but we wanted to do everything we could to prevent that from happening until we got you back home." He lied. He tucked his bottom lip slightly to appear in dispair.  All of it was lies. He knew where I was the entire fucking time. Now that I knew the truth, I could confidently say his acting was awful and irritating. It felt like he was laughing at me the entire time. Like he was saying, Haha, you stupid fucking idiot, I knew where you've been. It's cute that you thought I'd come to save you and tell Avery the truth. I just couldn't understand why he looked so happy. I couldn't understand why he was so joyful. Everything is almost back to normal, but nothing feels normal. There has to be more to this. "-but it looks like none of that is necessary because you're here." He clapped his hand together. When he said that, he sounded like he was expected me to pop up eventually. Did he know Xander was going to let me go?

"Thanks for trying." I can't believe I was thanking this bastard. He's done nothing but fuck up all of our lives.

"Avery, honey. Can you leave Harley and me for a moment? The police want to discuss some information about her case. Some of the information is sensitive and confidential." Daniel cooed.

I wanted to scream for her not to leave me alone, and I wanted her to grab my hand and pull me with her out of the house, but of course, I didn't let her, nor did she.

"I'll be fine. It's a good idea, anyway." I said, grabbing her hand and squeezing it lightly. She looks confused, a bit suspicious, but after the gentle act, she nodded.