14

Xander's POV

" Your father heard about Evan." Henry put the cigarette up to his lips.

"How?" I asked, sucking on my own cigarette.

"I don't know. He wants to speak to you, but I told him you were busy and you'll call him later." Henry sighed.

"I'm not calling that bastard back. I don't need his useless advice."

"That's not going to stop him from calling."

"I know." I blew out the nicotine filled smoke out of my mouth.

"You seem too calm about all this," Henry said.

"Since when am I not calm?" I asked.

"I would've expected you'd be breaking shit by now. I was surprised to walk into your office and see you sitting comfortably after beating the shit out of Evan." He said. I didn't know what to say to him after that. I admit that I wasn't nearly as angry as I usually would've been. "In fact, it looks like the complete opposite. Your hand is bandaged up."

"Yeah. I suppose so." That is all I could manage out.

"Harley did that, didn't she?" Henry asked. I averted my eyes to him.

"Yeah," I answered nonchalantly. It's funny how quickly Henry recognized it was Harley. He knew just as much as me how friendly Harley was. She alluded a calming energy I had never recognized before today. I stared down at my bandaged hand for a moment, just thinking about Harley's hand tangled in mine. I wonder if she was repulsed by me at that moment or not.

"You should keep your eye on her, boss. She is an easy target. Even Evan knew that." Henry lit another cigarette.

"Nothing will happen to her." I began, "Evan pried on a girl who didn't know any better because he was too pussy to steal from me directly. It won't happen ever again." I said sternly. Louder and harsher than I intended.

"I know," Henry replied. Silence fell upon us for a moment. It was brief, but I knew Henry was in deep thought like I was. His statement swirled around in my head longer than it should have. It bothered me to hear him say such things because I knew he was right. As soon as Harley became involved in my life, she became a target. "So what's the plan? I know you have something on stand by." Henry asked casually. I chuckled lightly.

"It'll take a while to prepare. We need backup and not by any of the loud bastards here." I put out what's left of my cigarette.

"So who?" Henry asked. I didn't say anything but sat for a moment. I didn't want to say who I had in mind since the mir thought of them made me angry. "Sanchez brothers?"

"Don't call them that like they are some organized group. They are annoying wannabe thugs....but yes." I answered. I had four blood cousins from my father's side. They never joined the cartel officially, but on and off, they are called to do jobs. They are young and reckless, but I trust them with my life. Normally I'd say blood doesn't mean anything but with them; it was different. They kill who they are told to and without issues. They are good at it. Reckless with their own lives, but they get the job done when they need to.

"That's what they like to be called by." Henry chuckled. I turned my head and gave him an unamused look, which wiped the grin off his face. "I'll call them."

"Tell them to be here by Wednesday. Two days is more than enough time for them to get here." I said. They never stayed in one place for long, but I know they were scattered around the west coast.

"Okay. I'll call them first thing in the morning." He replied.

"No. Call them now." I answered. We didn't have time to waste. We didn't know if Evan told Huncho what was in that file. We don't know how long Huncho is going to grow suspicious of Evan's absence. We needed to act fast.