22. My life is also a mess, but at least I got a friend!

Clint Barton's home was, like everything else in New Rom, designed in the ancient Roman fashion. Though the furniture gave it away that we had not traveled backwards in time. Our host had prepared three beds in the guest room, though if anyone felt uncomfortable sharing a room, one could easily be moved into the office. Harriet and I changed to our pyjamas while Severus went to the bathroom.

"How are you doing?"

I turned around to face Harriet who's pyjamas looked like it was a two or three sizes too big for her.

"What do you mean?"

She raised an eyebrow.

"I don't believe that you are completely fine with all of this," she said. "You believed your entire life up until two days ago that you were a pure blooded wizard from a family considered to be one of the finest blood lines. Then it's thrown in your face that, no, you're not pure blooded, you were born out of wedlock. Since your mother wasn't even a human, the wizards wouldn't even consider you a half blood, but rather a half breed. And I can imagine that you previously thought, like most civilian wizards, that the gods was more fairytales than reality. I know you've been acting fine, but I don't believe you would actually be after only one talk with your half brother. I think you're forcing yourself to not feel anything. So, if you could just tell me; how are you really doing?"

I sat down on my assigned bed.

"I don't think you want to listen to my ranting about that." I said locking my eyes on a point on her right.

"You've already listened to my ranting about my mess of a life," Harriet said and sat down next to me. "And my brother always tells me that you have to trust each other on a quest, and in order to do so, you need to be open to each other. So I think it's in both our best interest if I return the favor."

It made sense, which was a bit annoying. I really hadn't allowed myself to feel much since we left Camp Half Blood. I mean, except that talk with Peter.

"I... don't really know what I feel. It... is just a lot that was thrown in my face at once... my whole life has practically been turned upside down. And, when I said that my godly parent was probably my father. I think it might only have been wishful thinking. My mum- Narcissa, I mean, she was the one who raised me my entire life, Lucius was just there for the public appearance. And now, I find out she's not my real mother... that..."

"That hurts," Harriet finished.

"Yes, it hurts a lot."

Harriet sat quite for a few seconds before speaking.

"When I first came here, I had nobody. My aunt and uncle had just dumped me at Half Blood Hill with a note that they'd pick me up at the end of summer. But Percy took me with him to his parents and introduced them to me. They have been taking care of me like I was their own ever since then. Even when I was in Britain they'd secretly send me packages of clothes and candy. Then when I was ten I met May Parker, a daughter of Aphrodite, who helped out as well. She took me to the movies from time to time. And you know what?"

"What?"

Harriet smiled.

"They both get a Mother's Day card from me every May! Who your mom is doesn't have to be restricted to who you share a family tree with. Narcissa is just as much of your mom as she has always been to you, Draco."

"But..."

"Really, what would you otherwise call a woman who has raised you and given you unconditional love ever since you were a baby, if not a mom?"

I pondered over her words. Again it made sense.

"I suppose..." I said. "I'm also a little... I don't know what word to use, angry, disappointed?"

"Frustrated?" Harriet suggested.

"Yeah, that's a fit word. My father, he... he KNEW. He knew I was a demigod, he Knew who my real mother was, Merlin, he probably even knew I had dyscalculia-"

"Dyslexia, dyscalculia is something else."

"Yeah, yeah, either way he knew! And he never told me, because he refused to acknowledge anything that could contradict his image of the perfect pure blooded wizarding family!" I hid my face in my hands. "He cared more about his reputation than the well-being of his own son! Can you even visualise that?"

Harriet was quite for a few seconds to make sure I was done before she spoke.

"Yes, I think I can imagine that," she said. "Both because I've had my fair share of troublesome relatives, and because I've met your father. No offense towards you."

"Heh..."

"It sounds messy."

I looked up at her. The ghost of a smile was playing on her lips.

"Yeah... I guess it is..." I sucked in a breath. "Harriet, I'm sorry, for, you know, for acting like a git during these two years at Hogwarts. It's just... well, I have no idea how to act around pretty girls..."

The reality of what I'd just said hit me like a brick in the face. I barely dared to look at Harriet's reaction. She as well appeared to be a little taken aback.

"Well, I'm flattered that you think I'm pretty..." she shock her head. "Hey, you know, if you just stop acting like a jerk, I'd gladly be your friend. What do you say?"

She offered me her hand. Like a parallel to what I had done when we were eleven. But unlike back then, I took it.

"I would like that," I said. "By the way, how did you know I had talked to Peter?"

"Your wrists." Harriet smirked.

I hadn't even noticed I was still wearing the web shooters.

"Peter is practically my best friend at Camp, you know. Apart from my brother and cousin," Harriet explained. "Funny fact, it was an Iris message with him last winter that forced me to come clean to Ron and Hermione."

"Really?"

"Yeah, they walked in on me talking to Peter and so, I then had to explain, mostly to Hermione, that it wasn't a magical spell."

We joked around for a while before Severus came back and we had to go to sleep. But for the first time in what felt like forever, I felt a bit at ease.