23. Harriet sets the course with sheer willpower

The following morning was hectic. Breakfast was over before I even got the chance to try the pancakes and I almost forgot to pocket my wand in our hurry to pack our things.

Frank and Hazel let us borrow a sailboat from the legion's newly extended navy. I knew nothing about sailing, but apparently, being the child of the Greek sea god came with some perks. Harriet could telepathically control the boat all on her own while just wandering around on the deck. She explained to me that we were going to the Bermuda Triangle through the Panama Canal, a canal for boats to travel from the west to east without having to sail all the way around South America. It would normally take around three and a half days to reach Panama, but Harriet could also manipulate the currents to carry the boat faster.

"We will hopefully get there in just one day," she said.

Severus was not found of the travel arrangements at all. The waves caused him severe sea sickness and he would occasionally lean over the edge and throw up his latest meal. Something that annoyed Harriet.

"I get that you are sea sick, but we do have vomit bags for that very purpose!" she would say.

"How come he's this sea sick anyway?" I jokingly asked. I didn't expect to get an answer.

"Because he is a son of Hades. Kids of the Big Three tend to become a little anxious or nauseous or similar in each other's domains," Harriet explained.

"Pardon?"

"The oceans are Poseidon's domain, that can't be news to you, right?" She giggled.

"I know that! I meant the other thing you said. What is 'The Big Three'?"

"Ah! That! The Big Three are the most powerful among the Greek gods, the brothers Hades, Poseidon and Zeus. They each rule over the underworld, the seas and the sky respectively, with earth as neutral ground. Children of the Big Three tend to be much more powerful than other demigods," Harriet told me. "Not to brag!" she quickly added, but my thoughtful face was for a different reason.

Somewhere in my head, I remembered what Lucius would sometimes tell me when I was younger. Why he had insisted that I were to befriend Harriet as I started my first year at Hogwarts.

"Maybe that is why..."

"What?" Harriet asked. For the first time since we left Hogwarts, she was the confused one.

"Just something my father used to tell me. When nobody else were there listening, he would talk about when You-Know-Who was defeated, or whatever you're supposed to call it," I said as remembered all those nights in the living room with my parents. "Before meeting you, he wanted me to make alliance with you. He said there was a reason He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named tried to murder an innocent baby. He had heard somewhere, some prophecy spoken somewhere, that the girl would grow up to be stronger than him. My father believed that you would be the next dark lord, or lady." I shivered as I recalled how my father would stare longingly into the fireplace, thinking about whispered rumours that he wanted desperately to be true. "According to those rumours, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named tried to avoid his fate, but your hidden dark power had already grown too strong to beat."

I looked at Harri. Her face told me she clearly thought my father's favourite conspiracy was absurd, but behind that was also a deeply buried fear.

"Maybe that power comes from your father. Since you're not only a witch, but also a daughter of one of the most powerful gods, you could be-"

"NO!!!"

I stopped and looked at her.

"Sorry, too far?"

"A bit too far, yes..." Harriet let her hand dangle over the edge. The water raised to greet her. "I haven't heard of those rumors, Draco, but they're false. I will not become a dark lord, or lady, or whatever. I would rather die than become anything like Voldemort, is that clear?"

She didn't look at me as she spoke, just kept her eyes at the saltwater playing with her fingers, but her voice left no room for discussion. Something with what I had told her about those rumours had bothered her and I was sure it was not only about her becoming the next dark lady. But I decided it was best to drop it.

"Yes, crystal clear," I said and leaned over the edge with her. "Or clear as the water, if you want!"

I think Harri was about to come up with a quirky remark but I didn't give her the chance. I splashed some water in her face before she could even open her mouth. Harri let out a shriek in surprise and I jumped back to avoid her splashing me back. Though, I clearly underestimated my opponent. I only got a split second before a quart of water was levitated and splashed right in my face, making me soaking wet. And now I had a completely dry Harriet laughing at my sorry state. I sighed. Of course the daughter of Poseidon could manipulate the water, I really should have seen that coming!

She leaned me her hand to help me up from where I sat in a puddle of saltwater. I felt how I too dried up and the water ran back over the edge of the boat. Harriet didn't look remorseful at all.

"Sorry, but you started it!" She smirked.

"Though I think using your powers inherited from your dad would be cheating."

"No, it's not if there's no rule against it!"

I had to laugh again.

"Yeah, because you're always so good at following the rules!" I joked.

"Hey! I'll have you know that I do try to follow the rules, it's the rules that just doesn't want to be followed!"

"Do you think it would be a good time for lunch now? I'm hungry."

"Yeah, I packed some food from Camp Jupiter. And I need to give Severus those vomit bags!"

I looked over at Professor Snape, who sat at the other side, starboard side, of the boat. He was still puking over the edge.

"Why are you so bothered by it? It's all organic anyway, so it's not exactly dangerous for the environment."

"This is my father's domain, how would feel if someone walked into your property and just vomited in the backyard?"

"Alright, fair enough."

We ate spaghetti for lunch as the wind and currents carried us towards the Sea of Monsters via the Panama Canal. Harriet looked hypnotised by the sunlight reflecting on the water. Her sea green eyes was shining. And despite our destination, I was stupid enough to not be afraid.