11 Harriet takes on a quest

After another three songs I didn't know the lyrics of, Chiron stepped forward.

"As you all may have heard, Olympus is on the verge of a crisis."

Que people starting to mumble and whisper to each other. I saw Harriet twisting nervously on her seat. I turned to Peter.

"What kind of crisis is it they're talking about?"

I realised Peter and I actually do look a bit alike. Our eyebrows wrinkles in the same way when we're thinking or, like now, frowning.

"I don't know for sure. There has been rumors about a crisis of some sort going around for approximately two weeks now, but nobody seems to know why."

"No I don't, I'm just as clueless as everyone else." Annabeth chuckled at the obvious inside joke.

"Yeah, we're all basically clueless. But-" Peter lowered his voice. "-some people say that something, some powerful weapon, has been stolen."

I frowned as well.

"What kind of weapon would that be?"

But before Peter could answer, Chiron called for the attention.

"Now, I know some of you have heard rumors, and it's true. A weapon has been stolen, and not just any weapon. Poseidon's trident."

No one made a sound when they heard that. For a moment, the whole camp seemed to be holding their breath. Then one of the kids from Hermes' cabin spoke up.

"Isn't this the same kind of situation as the one eleven years ago when Zeus' master bolt was stolen? Will the gods start a war over this?"

I was about to ask Peter what happened exactly that time eleven years ago, but he mounted 'later' to me and turned back to Chiron.

"I don't know what will happen, Poseidon reported this a few weeks ago. He demanded that the thief return it before summer solstice and all the Olympians want justice to be brought as soon as possible. Zeus has become a bit paranoid over this and suspect this to be a declaration of war from one of the minor sea gods, and not only against Poseidon, but all Olympians."

More mumbling between the campers. I turned towards Peter. Whom once again mounted 'later'. I really hope that he won't make that some kind of standard answer to all my questions.

"Moreover, Poseidon would rather not have to wait til summer solstice. He has therefore asked a hero to track down the his trident and return it to him. No later than June 21, but preferably sooner."

"Sounds like a job for Percy Jackson!" One of the Apollon children yelled.

"He's currently on another quest. I spoke with him just yesterday. Most likely he won't come back for another week." Annabeth stated.

"Then Annabeth should go, she is the best of us all!" One of my younger siblings announced and beamed at our oldest sister.

Annabeth was about to object when Chiron cleared his throat to reclaim everyone's attention.

"Let me be more specific, Poseidon has asked for Harriet to track down his trident." More than that he didn't get the chance to say before someone from the Hermes cabin chimed in.

"Cool! Percy's not here, send the sister!"

Harriet twisted uncomfortably in her seat.

"May I tell you, that "the sister" slaughtered a full-size basilisk a week ago. Potter is not to be underestimated, I tell you that!"

No, I had no idea where that came from. Until I realised everyone was looking straight at me. I hid behind Peter, whom I grew comfortable with rather fast, I have to say. Luckily both him and Annabeth have my back in situations like this.

"Draco's point is that when Percy went to his first quest, he wasn't older than Harri is now. And he was even more inexperienced. Harri has been on quests before. And she will be in her right element. Harriet is the right person for this quest." Annabeth explained.

I heard mumbling and let my eyes wander over all the campers. Some looked like they were onboard with Harriet tracking down that trident. Some looked sceptical. One selected group of kids was openly glaring at Harriet. Those were the kids from Hecate's cabin, I don't know what their problem was.

"Hey! Percy showed himself to be ready at twelve, now it's Harri's turn! Also let's not risk angering Poseidon. I say 'Go, Harri!'" A girl from Ares' cabin yelled and raised her fist in the air as if to show support.

"Yeah! What MJ said! Go, Harri!" The Ares counselor, Clarisse, roared while raising her fist, mirroring her little sister's gesture. Every camper from cabin 5 joined in on the chanting, and eventually all the other cabins as well. Except cabin 20.

Harriet slowly stood up from her seat next to Nico and walked over to Chiron as the chanting died down.

"I accept the quest. I will bring back the trident."

Then Rachel stood up from her seat.

"You're gonna need your own prophecy for this quest."

Then the scene from when I met her in the forest repeated. Rachel once again spoke in rhythm and green smoke appeared around her.

"You shall start your journey traveling north,
After a bypath the late will tell where to go forth.

The stolen article will be returned after a fatal fight.
The sea spawn shall bleed and victory shall be received,
to the son of wisdoms delight."

Not really that joyful. Maybe Rachel's actual job at camp was simply to deliver bad news?

Once Rachel had regained her consciousness Chiron turned his attention back to Harriet.

"You get to choose two other campers to accompany you on your quest. Though it seams that one of the others must be one of Athena's sons, as the prophecy speaks of a son of wisdom."

An impulse decision is something you just decides on the spot, without thinking it through. In that moment I made such a decision. Maybe because I was suddenly reminded of something Narcissa had told me back at King's Cross. I stood up and raised my hand.

"I'll come!"

Yeah, I have no idea why I did that. And now everyone was looking at me, again. An Asian looking girl from the Aphrodite cabin spoke up.

"Why would you go? You crashed in here just yesterday, when it wasn't even you who was the target."

Her words made me insecure. What happened yesterday really was pathetic. But then-

"I'll have Severus and Draco with me. I want them to come with me on my quest."

The world surely was a weird place.