29. We attend the worst family reunion I've ever heard of

If you ever feel like sailing through a hurricane in the Sea of Monsters, let me give you some advice; DON'T! I cannot stress this enough, it is a horrible idea.

I was considering jumping over the edge of the boat, not because of hungry sirens trying to drown me, but to DRY OFF FROM THE RAINFALL!!

The sighting was so bad I could hardly see longer than my nose and the winds threw the boat in every direction. I would soon have to steal Severus' vomit bags.

"This is out of control! It's utter chaos!" Harri yelled over the thunder.

"Isn't that more or less the point of a hurricane?" I screamed back trying to be heard.

"Yeah, but not in this way!" she replied. "It's chaotic in a way that's not normal, and the eye is completely missing!"

I didn't know what a hurricane would do with an eye, but I decided not to dwell on it now.

"The one who stole dad's trident must've used it to summon these horrible parodies of hurricanes!" Harri continued. "But they seemingly didn't know what they were doing!"

"Perhaps they didn't even intend to summon them at all!" Because of the storm, I couldn't really tell whether it was Green Clad or Severus who spoke. "If that's the case, then maybe you can tame this one!"

"I've never done anything like that!" Harri protested.

"Give it a try!" I yelled.

She yelled something in response but I couldn't hear it as the wind grew stronger beyond reason.

The wind shook the boat and I lost balance. My head hit hard against the deck. I reflexively shut my eyes when the rain hit me in the face. It felt like a thousand needles piercing through my skin. I lost all sense of time as I laid on the deck in this sorry state.

Then the rain subsided. The wind got quiet enough to hear Severus stumble to get up on his feet. I opened my eyes to look around. The sky was no longer as dark as before, simply a bit cloudy, and the sea was calm for now.

Harri helped me get up on my feet. She was out of breath as if she just came back from hours of quidditch training with Marcus Flint, or, perhaps Oliver Wood, since Harriet was a Gryffindor.

"You stopped the storm..." No one could blame me for being amazed by that.

Harri frowned at the sky. In the distance some clouds had started to darken once more, but cleared as Harri glared at them.

I couldn't really help but to imagine her with a stern voice telling them off. Like "Harriet: 'Now, what in Merlin's name do you think you're doing?'
Clouds: 'Ops! Our fault, sorry, miss!'
Harri: 'That's what I fricking thought.'"

But when Harriet turned back to me I realised I got sidetracked.

"I only stopped it temporarily," she explained. "To actually stop this hurricane, and the other two, we have to get my dad's trident back. I can't hold back these forces of nature forever. Accidental or not."

I sighed heavily.

"Why was it even stolen if this thief can't even master it's power?!" I ranted.

"The most likely reason, I would say, is probably the trident's value, rather than it's power," Green Clad proposed. "This kind of power sure is one of nature's greatest forces, but it is practically useless if you cannot tame it. The value it holds, however, as one of the Olympian's symbol of power, could still give anyone an upper hand in a negotiation. Similar to that jar of dirt our Dearest here used to bargain with Edward Teach to free us from his pirate crew. What was simply a jar of dirt to us, was for some irrelevant reason valuable to them, and taking a god's very symbol of power are often viewed as a declaration of war."