The Silent Knight

Throughout the rest of the day, I met with various people and helped them with their own personal tasks, after all, to rebuild a kingdom you must start with your people. I was dedicated to helping as many villagers as I possible could. Paya went of with Impa but Link stuck to my side all day, sword attached to him, always ready to be used. 

My thoughts creep back to the past year. I have an overwhelming sense of guilt rush over me. Everything he has gone through, everything I put him through. He was always silent, the only person I have ever seen him really open up to was me, but he spoke in other ways than words. Though he rarely spoke, he always listened, and you knew he was listening because he would actively respond through actions. And he was the best listener, so much so that I've noticed myself slowly only opening up to him. I knew I could trust him, and I knew he would listen.

As I helped Lasli, one of the workers at the local clothing store, decorate the outside of her shop with various tapestries and signs, I glanced over at Link who was listening to the pumpkin farmer as he told one of his many stories. I giggled, even if he didn't want to listen, Link still always did. I figured I should save him.

"Pardon me Lasli, I need to speak with Master Link quick." I spoke over my shoulder in Lasli's direction.

"Oh, of course Princess! Thank you so much for everything! You are the best, stop by anytime okay?" She replied with the widest smile. 

I smiled and headed in Link's direction, being able to listen in more on the farmer's words.

"...and then he really thought to tell them that carrots were better. Carrots! Can you believe it. Well I surely can't because it's a lie I tell you. All a lie. Steen thinks he is swift, thinks he can grow better produce than me, will I'll- oh hello Princess." Olkin spoke.

"Hello, I'm so sorry to interrupt this lovely conversation," I paused and smiled at Link who turned his head, trying to hold back a laugh. "But I believe I'm in need of my Knight's assistance, if you'll excuse him." I grabbed onto link's wrist and Olkin nodded with a smile on his face, then I proceeded to rescue Link as I pulled him off. 

We walked to the front of Impa's home and both let out quiet giggles to each other.

"It seemed my brave knight was in need of rescuing?" I laughed out.

"Yes, this knight was indeed in need of saving, thank you for that." He smiled. "So, what else is to be completed today?"

I paused before I answered. I didn't want to continue tasks, him and I have barely gotten anytime together and I am ridiculous to think it but I wanted to be alone, with him. I looked at the sky, the sun was starting to fall, ready to cover Hyrule in the night sky. I looked back at Link, still holding his wrist and I became slightly embarrassed when I noticed. I dropped his wrist and clasped my hands as I thought of my answer.

"How would you like to go on an adventure, Link?" I whispered to him excited. He titled his head in response.

"Let's go on a small adventure tonight. I don't know, maybe past Kakariko? Towards the old Lanaryu road? Let's just go walk and see what we could find." I paused, giving him a second. As much as an adventurer as he is, I knew lately it makes him nervous. Safety always being his number one priority. I instantly felt bad as soon as I thought that, for me it was an adventure, for him... it was danger. 

Just as I was about to drop the idea, he shook his head yes and I felt a wave of eagerness splash over me. Finally, I'd be able to explore with just him, no destination, no time frame, just me and him and a small adventure ahead of us.

==========

Link's POV

She always loved to explore, even if the exploration wasn't that far. The slightest bit of the unknown always thrilled her, and I adored that about her. It was one of few times we have been able to be alone together, and though I thought she would fill the night air with bountiful stories and questions, she was quiet. She walked close beside me while glancing in every direction as if everything was new to her. Just as we got near the old east gate of the Lanaryu road, she stopped walking and looked up at the sky, I waited for her words. After a few silent seconds, she spoke.

"I always loved the night sky. Something about it, so mesmerizing yet... so mysterious. I wonder if we will ever come to understand the universe around us." She always wanted to learn. She slowly sat down into the grass below her, never taking her eyes off the stars, her emerald eyes glimmering from the thousands of lights in the dark sky. 

I sat down next to her, which soon made me realize how tired I was so I laid back into the blanket of grass beneath me, resting my left hand on my forehead and my right arm sprawled out in the cold grass. She looked down at me and smiled, I returned the smile.

"Link you remind me of the night sky." She said giggling.

"Excuse me?" I say starting to giggle back.

"Because you can be so mysterious sometimes." She replied back. At first, I didn't know how to respond but then I remembered her other comment about the night sky.

"Am I also mesmerizing?" I laughed out.

"Link! That- I- ugh never mind!" She laughed but also hid her face as her cheeks turned into a rose color. I sat up next to her and she slowly turned her face from the palms of her hands to meet my eyes. She lifts her head and grabs a strand of her hair with both of her hands.

"The once in a lifetime chance I get to hear you speak, and that's how you respond. You know what I meant." She said slightly giggling still.

"Yes, I know what you meant, just wanted to poke at you. But why do you think that?" I responded.

"Why do I think you're mysterious? Well,  I mean you are and always have been silent but that's not news to anyone. It's more than that though. I mean, Link, you've been through so much within the past year and even before that. Yet, you don't show it, I can't help but wonder what's truly going on in that mind of yours." She explained clasping her hands in her lap. 

I looked back up at the night sky, understanding now why she saw me like that. A sense of guilt overcame me, have I really been that closed off to her? We sat in silence. I thought about explaining everything to her, my feelings of the past years events, how I felt waking up from that shrine, not being able to recognize myself. I wasn't ready to speak about it though. Just when I was about to say anything to fill the silent night, I heard a rustle in the trees behind us. Within a split second I was on my feet, master sword in hand, breathing turning heavy, and my eyes glancing all around. 

She quickly stood with me checked the surrounding areas as well. When my nerves made my breathing turn heavier, I felt her hand on my shoulder, and a wave of calm consumed me. I looked back at her.

"Hey, it's okay. Probably just a wild animal. Please, just relax Link." She slowly moved her hand to mine holding the sword, and lowered it for me.

Since the past events. I have never felt relaxed, always on edge, waiting to strike. With her hand in mine, it was the first time I have felt truly calm and relaxed.