My Silent King

Zelda's POV

The Kingdom of Hyrule has known nothing except for ruin for now over a hundred years. One may ask, how will a Kingdom that has suffered such a fate ever recover? 

I gently ran my palm along my horse's mane after tying his reins to the post, awaiting for the King to do the same with his horse. The sun was farther in the sky since I first awoke this morning, after begging, he agreed to join me for a long morning ride. 

Truthfully I needed this, a breath of the wild. 

How will this Kingdom and it's citizens recover? The answer is simple, through courage. 

Then, one may ask, how does courage fix a kingdom? If the people of Hyrule did not have courage, they would've submitted to Ganon's rule the moment the dark malice was unleashed upon this world. If those that fought for this kingdom did not have courage, then they would have abandoned their post and left the citizens to fight for themselves.

If the very Knight that swore to protect this land and the land's Princess did not have courage, then he would have never awoken from his grave to return to his kingdom and save it once more. 

That is how courage saved Hyrule.

I looked over to him, his ocean eyes meeting mine. He reached his arms up to the sky, dramatically stretching before grabbing onto his blonde locks to pull them back into a bun. The corners of my lips slightly turned up as I moved closer to him, wrapping my arms around the back of his neck. Before he was able to pull it back, I reached my hand up and maneuvered the blue hair tie from his finger tips.

"I like it down." I whispered to him, my lips near his.

He grinned. "Yes, your Majesty."

I shook my head and placed a soft kiss onto his lips before turning and walking towards the railing, his hand in mine. Sanidin Park Ruins has always been one of my favorite places to see the kingdom. Where Link and I stood now, we also stood a hundred years ago. The day before everything unleashed, the day before I last held him for a hundred years. 

Silently, he looked out over the kingdom with me. The memory of that day haunted my mind, causing me to shift my focus on him. Sometimes, I truly believe he is able to read my mind, on cue he looked over towards me and gave a comforting smile. He released my hand and wrapped his arms around me, moving himself to be behind me so my back was pressed to his chest. I felt him rest his head onto my shoulder and press a soft kiss to my neck.

"I know what you are thinking, try and focus on the present. It's time we both say goodbye to the past. I believe you and I are very different now from our past selves, in a good way." He whispered to me, his voice still raspy from his early wake up call.

Listening to his words, I closed my eyes and gathered my thoughts. In the past, I was scared and angry. Angry at myself and angry at my fate, having an ability to save a whole kingdom and failing to use it when it was needed most. I was sacred, and though as a Princess I was surrounded by so much love and support, I felt alone in this world. 

Until I had him. Learning how to get him to actually speak was a challenge within itself, but that was just it, his words were never needed. I thought I originally despised him for his lack of words, now I understand I was jealous. I used my voice, I fought, yelled, and cried and yet nothing ever came from my pleas. Then there was Link, without a word he could lead an army, without a word he could comfort my soul. Maybe I was never even jealous. Maybe, I was in love with him this whole time, but never being taught love, I was unable to understand the confusing feeling inside of me.