Shade of Blue

Zelda's POV

We walked back to the village in silence. It was late in the night, every creature has gone to bed leaving the night air empty and quite with only the slight sound of the wind to accompany it. Link looked straight ahead the whole walk back and I would slightly glance at him every couple seconds to see if his expression had changed, it never did. He was different than when we first walked out here. Now his face was stern, his step quick, his posture stronger. I could tell he was thinking, about what I wasn't quite sure, but I knew the something triggered inside him back there when we heard that noise.

To be truthful, I didn't know what the noise was either and though it very well could've been a threat, I didn't want him to panic. I tried my best to calm him down back there, my efforts seem wasted though. As we closed in on the village with the inn insight, I finally decided to break the silent night. 

"Are you alright, Link?" I stopped walking. He turned back and looked at me and gave me a simple nod. For once I needed more than his silence but I didn't want to push him. I nodded back then continued to walk with him to the inn.

Once inside, we shared our goodnights then parted to our separate rooms. I didn't want to be alone. I wanted to spend more time with him, I wanted to tell him so much, ask him so much, or even just sit with him. But the night was soon going to leave and the sun would shine through my window in just a few short hours. So, I changed into my short, light blue nightgown and crawled into bed. Within a few short moments, I felt my eye lids become heavy and drifted off to a well needed sleep.

==========

The next morning I woke to various songs from birds outside my window. I rolled out of bed and decided to dress. I remembered the night prior and found myself missing Link's presence. This whole year I've made sure to keep him close to my side to ensure I would never loose him again, but now I felt the need to have him close to me more than ever and I couldn't tell why. I slipped on my blue, long sleeved shirt with my usual black pants. Just as I stepped into my boots and started braiding the top of my hair, I heard a knock at the door. I waited to speak thinking that Paya's shy voice would soon come from the other side, but instead it was silent.

"Hello?" I spoke towards the door holding a half braided piece of hair with both of my hands.

"It's me princess, I have the horses ready outside if you still plan to continue on to Hateno village today." Link's voice replied back.

Excitement sparked in me making me drop the half braid hair and rush over to open the door. Come to think of it, I may have opened it a little too hastily for when I opened the door, Link's expression widened from my quick movements.

"Yes, I still intend on heading to Hateno, I presume we should be leaving soon? For it is almost a half day trip." I said messing with a piece of my hair. He nodded in reply and I smiled back to him. "Perfect, let me finish gathering my items, plus I want to say goodbye to Impa and Paya before we depart." 

I turned and walked back to the mirror without closing my door behind me. I reached up for the braided hair I was previously working on. Just as I began to braid again, I looked in the mirror and saw Link's ocean eyes staring straight at me through the mirror. We made eye contact for a moment, a moment that felt like forever. For some reason I couldn't pull my gaze away and neither could he. After the moment passed I turned around to look at him directly letting our eyes catch again. He looked down at his feet and rubbed the back of his head timidly.

"I will wait outside for you, princess." He stated before closing my door behind him and walking off. I held my braided hair and slowly continued it. I couldn't get his gaze out of my head, his eyes. 

My favorite color has always been blue. His eyes, were always my favorite shade of blue.

Once I gathered myself and my various items, I stepped outside to see Paya talking to Link, who was tightening the saddle on my horse. It was obvious that Paya had feelings for Link, and if she was trying to hide them, she wasn't doing the best job at it. For some reason, thinking about her attraction towards him and seeing her speak to him, made my face feel hot and I felt my fists tighten at my sides. As soon as I understood why, I released my grip and turned my face away. I could not possibly be jealous of Paya simply speaking with Link, plus what do I have to be jealous over? Before walking over I listen into her words.

"Ma-Master Link? May I a-ask you a question?" She stuttered. he gave his usual nod in return. "Oh alright I, um, I just w-wondered. Would you and the p-princess be returning to Kakariko any time soon? No urgency. Just I- I mean, uh, we will miss you. Miss you both I mean." She continued stuttering. Like I stated, she wasn't very good at hiding her feelings. He finished tightening the saddle and looked at her.

"When Princess Zelda is ready to yes. She is plenty busy but she favors you and Impa, so I am sure we will return soon." He replied. I decided to stop stalking and walk over to join them.

Before leaving the village, Link and I said our goodbyes to Impa and Paya as well as a few other villagers who were awake in the early morning. After goodbyes were shared, we jumped onto our horses and began our journey to Hateno.