I Love You

Zelda's POV

The journey home wasn't the easiest. We had to take turns aiding Link as we trudged through the desert sands, that quickly heated up, but the rest of the trip became easier when we reached the horses. My horse trotted back to Kakariko Village along side the other horses. Sheikah members spoke, booming with excitement of another successful journey and a rescued knight. I joined into little of the conversation though. My focus being entirely on Link. His arms were wrapped around my waist, squeezing ever so often, and his head rested on my shoulder. His eyes never opened and I tried to keep my horse as steady as possible, I wasn't sure if he was asleep, but I didn't want to risk waking him. Paya rode along side me and we would often share smiles with each other, both proud of our success.

The hill leading to Kakariko finally came into view, the long journey almost over.

"Let's get your knight to safety. And I think we have earned some well deserved rest." Paya smiled at me.

"We all deserve to rest and eat, I'm starved." I looked towards the sleeping knight on my shoulder.

Finally back in Kakariko, we were greeted with a proud Impa. After helping Link off the horse, we lead him to the inn and laid him in a bed. Impa walked past us and looked closely at him. She placed her hands on his.

"I told you, Princess. Have faith, you have one strong knight by your side." She gently reached up and pushed his bangs from his face.

"Thank you Impa, for everything." I walked closer to her and grabbed her hands. "You have helped me in ways unimaginable, I owe you everything for helping me save him. I... I feel as though I would have nothing without him." Tears caught in the back of my eyes. She pulled me into a hug. 

Paya walked back into the room behind us with a box of various items. I walked over and peaked into the box, medical supplies. Various bandages, herbs, and other vials of substances I wasn't too sure of. I looked back at Link's wrists and cringed at the bruises.

"How is he holding up?" Paya whispered. 

"I think he's fallen back asleep? He hasn't moved much or said a word. Hey, do you have anything for his hands?" I whispered back to her. She looked up from the box and then made her way over to the bed. She looked over at me first, almost as if asking permission to touch him, I gave her a slight nod and she lifted his arm to study the cuts and bruises from the cuffs. 

"I will have to read up on this, but I'm pretty sure there is an old Sheikah medical book that has a great recipe for bruises like these, if you want, I can go and search for it?" She looked back at me and slowly lowered his hand.

"That would be very kind of you, dear Paya." Impa spoke behind me. "You both need rest though, and a changed out of this armor. Please, go back to my home and clean yourselves up, I will watch over him until you return." She walked over to the edge of the room and sat down on one of the available chairs. 

At first, I hesitated, never wanting to leave his side again. The thought of him being out of my sight scared me. I trusted Impa though, and she was right, I was tired of being wrapped up in this armor as well as I was starving. Before I left, I walked over to were Link was laying and gently bent down, leaving a gentle kiss on his for head. I rested my lips against his skin for a second and when I pulled away, his eyes gently flickered open. I heard Impa speak something to Paya and they quietly exited the room, closing the door behind them. I slowly sat down next to him, grabbing his hand. For a few moments, we stared at each other in silence, we needed the quiet moment. Then he open his soft lips and gently spoke.