Chapter 16

Sarah's POV

Henry and I walk up to my front door. Charlotte's sitting, waiting patiently for us on the bench next to the door.

"You guys walk so slowly." She laments.
"Sorry." I giggle at her expression. She grins.
"Come on, you promised this would be fun!" She exclaims.
"Okay! Okay!" I laugh. I punch the key code for my door into the lock system.
"Oh, so high tech." Henry teases. I turn around to look at him and stick my tongue out.

I walk through the door into my house, and Charlotte and Henry enter behind me. My mom is standing just inside the doorway arranging the pile of shoes at the front door.

"Oh, hi honey." She says, noticing my friends and I.
"Hey mom." I reply. "I hope it's cool, I brought Henry and Charlotte over, we just came from work." I say.
"No, that's fine. Are you going to hang out in your room?" She asks.
"Probably. And maybe go downstairs to the basement to watch a movie later." I answer casually.
"Alright, but dad's downstairs in his office working, so be quiet if you do go down."
"Okay, mom." I smile, and then turn to the stairs.

Just as I'm about to put my foot on the first step, my mom stops me.
"Sarah, is that a bruise on your face?" She asks, worriedly. I bring my hand up to touch my cheek. I can feel the lump.

Now that I think about it, one of the guys I was fighting earlier had tried to hit my head. I thought I had dodged it, but I guess not.

Now I've got to come up with a cover story, quickly. I look at Charlotte and Henry, but they look as panicked as I feel.
"Oh, uh, I was moving some stuff around at work and an old soccer ball fell off a shelf and dinged me. I didn't realize it left a mark, it didn't hurt that much." I say. I hope she believes it.

"Sarah, you have got to be more careful!" She exclaims, rushing over to me and inspecting my wound.
"Mom, it's not even that bad, or a big deal!" I exclaim. My parents can be so frustrating sometimes.

My mom inspects me for a little bit longer, before releasing me so I can go up to my room.
"See you later mom!" I say, as I dash up the stairs with Henry and Charlotte in pursuit.

I swing the door to my room open, and proceed to my bed, which I fling myself on.

"Ugh! My parents drive me insane with their over protectiveness!" I exclaim into my pillow.
"Yeah, you weren't kidding about that." Henry says, shaking his head ruefully. I look over at him and Charlotte.

"Well don't just stand there, make yourselves at home." I instruct, motioning around my room, which is kind of huge. Perks of being an only child.

Henry drops into my blue beanbag chair, and Charlotte perches on my couch.
"This room is huge." Charlotte remarks. I grin.
"Yeah, I know." I reply.

Henry points to my sparkly patterns on the walls.
"Did you do those yourself?" He asks. I look up at them.
"Yeah, with a lot of help from something called a stencil." I reply. "I'm not exactly artistically gifted." I add, grinning.

"Wait a minute, is that why you're 'Sparkly'!" Henry exclaims in realization, a questioningly look on his face. I burst out laughing.
"Yes it is, in a way. You can thank Zoey for that." I answer.

"Zoey? Who's Zoey? I thought you said you were an only child?" Charlotte asks, confused.
"Oh, Zoey's not my sister." I grin. "But would you like meet her?" I ask.
"Sure." Henry says.
"Okay, she's in the backyard. Follow me." I say cheerfully.
"Why is she in your backyard?" Charlotte asks me.
"You'll see!" I smile mysteriously.

I lead my friends down the back staircase to the rear door, leading to the backyard. I open the door, and step outside.
"Here Zoey!" I yell to dog. She comes bounding over. "Hi sweetie! How are you?" I coo as I pet her. "Guys, meet Zoey." I say to Henry and Charlotte.
"Aww, she's cute!" Charlotte exclaims, as she drops to her knees to pet Zoey, who is clearly loving all the attention.