Chapter 25

Sarah's POV

I've been asleep for maybe twenty minutes when I hear my phone ringing. I grab it, and see it's Henry. I roll my eyes and sigh. If I don't answer, I know he's just going to keep calling back. Besides, talking to him wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I pick up the phone and talk to him for a bit. My anger softens the more he says to me. Eventually, I'm near tears. He offers to give the phone to my parents, and I agree.

"Sarah? Oh thank goodness you're okay!" Hearing my mom's voice fills me with relief, even though I'm supposed to be slightly mad with her, and my dad.
"I'm fine." I assure her.
"You'd better be! Why did you run away? We only want to help you." my mom sounds happy even though she's trying to act angry.
"Well earlier you were threatening to erase mine and my friends' brains!" I exclaim, my tone getting slightly harsher.
"I'll admit, we definitely overreacted. But we talked to Ray and your friends, and we know enough now, to know we can trust you. We love you Sarah." She adds the last part after a pause, catching me off-guard.
"I love you too." I say, tears returning to my eyes.
"Will you come home then please? Or at least turn your GPS trackers back on?"
"Mom, as much as I love you and dad, nothing has changed the fact that I still want some space. I don't want to be forced into some insane training regiment just because I have powers all of a sudden."

"Listen Sarah, you may not believe me, but I do understand. Come home, and I promise you, we will not force you to do anything. First, I think it would be highly beneficial if we all just sat down and talked." I can hear something in my mom's voice that I don't hear often; sympathy, and also, humour.

"Ok, fine. I'm in Swellview park." I tell her. "Maybe you should give Henry his phone back and send him and Charlotte home. Tell him I'll see them at school tomorrow."
"Your dad and I will come get you now. And you can tell him yourself. I don't want to sound paranoid still, but stay on the line with him until Dad and I get there, okay? Or just call me if you need to."
"Okay mom, I will. I'll see you soon." I smile.
"Alright sweetie, see you soon. I'm giving the phone back to Henry now." she says, and then she's gone.

"Hey Sarah. Everything good now?" Henry asks.
"Yeah, I guess so."
"I heard what your mom said, so I guess you're not going to be forced into anything." he says.
"Nope. My mom said we could just talk about stuff. And I'm not going to be locked up, or not allowed to do anything."
"So you'll be at school tomorrow?" Henry sounds worried, as if he thinks I won't be there.
"Yeah, of course. We have a project to present." I say teasingly.
"Okay good! You know Ms. Shapen would kill us otherwise." Henry laughs.
"That's cause she's crazy." I laugh too.

"Oh Sarah, Ray says he just got a text from your parents to say they're there. Call them."
"Okay, bye Henry." I go to hang up, but Henry's not done.
"Wait."
"Yes?"
"Text me when you get home safely, okay?" He mumbles quietly.
"I will." I promise him.
"Bye Sarah." I smile as the call ends.

It's weird how much of a difference talking to Henry can change my mood. I'm not sure that's a good thing though. If I keep up with this stint as 'Sparkly', and whatever my parents have in store for me, having feelings for someone might be the worst thing for me.

I can't even imagine my parents being okay with it in the first place, especially now that they know what I've actually been doing for a job.

I know on the phone my mom said we would simply talk, but I can't see them just being fine with this. I know I'll be going to school tomorrow, cause there's no way they'd let me miss it, however, I have no idea what mental state I'll be going in.

My phone starts to ring again. This time, it's my parents. I sigh, before I slide my finger across the screen to answer the call.
"Hello?"
"Sarah, we're here. Where are you?" My mom asks.
"Inside the park." I answer. I say it like it's completely obvious.
"Sarah, there's a ten foot fence. What did you do? Climb it?" She's kidding, as if she doesn't believe I could do it.
"Yeah mother, I did." I reply.
"Oh." my mom pauses, clearly surprised. "Well, wait right there, I'll be there in a second."
"What are you going to do? Scale the fence as well?" I scoff.