Chapter 1

"Sarah, hurry up! You're going to be late for school. And I'm not going to another meeting with that crazy teacher of yours, Ms. Shapen!" My mom yells from downstairs.

I grab my backpack off the bathroom floor, and finish putting on my makeup. After that, I quickly shove my phone into a random pocket in my bag.

I then sprint out of the bathroom, downstairs to the kitchen. Pausing there briefly, I grab the toast my mom left on the counter and hurry outside, into her waiting car.

I barely have my seatbelt on, before she's pulling out of the driveway.
"You have to start getting up earlier." she scolds me, to which I give the standard reply,
"Yes Mom."

It's not a very long drive to my school, Swellview Junior High, so I have to wolf down my breakfast. We're there in about five minutes.

But before I leave the car, my mom says to me,
"Did you hear about what Captain Man and Kid Danger did last night?" It's strange of her to ask, and I smile nervously.
"Everyone has, mom!" I say to her teasingly, I climb out of the SUV and close the door behind me. I wave to my mom as she drives off and she returns it with a warm smile.

As I walk into the building, I notice some kids from my class standing by my locker. They notice me as I come closer, and move out of the way so I can access my locker.

"Hey Sarah!" One of them says. I know without looking that it's Jasper; he just has that aura of happiness. He also has a weird, but albeit interesting, obsession with buckets.
"Hey Jasper," I say, setting my backpack on the ground, and unzipping it, so I can put away the books and stuff I don't need.

"Did you finish the history homework?"
"Yep." I turn and give him a quick smile, before going back to dealing with my locker.

"Did you find it hard?" A new voice, that I don't recognize asks. I turn around to look. I'm done with my locker, so I close it behind me as I turn.

Once I turn, I realize that it's Henry that asked. Henry Hart; the one that all the girls crush on. Being honest with myself, I know I'm not really interested. He annoys me for starters, with how he acts towards all the girls that adore him, and he seems like has way too many girlfriends.

He is cute, but I've seen better. Like have you seen Alex from Target? HE WILL BE MINE!

I don't really have a best friend, so no one knows that I'm not in love with Henry. No one knows if I am in love either, but since I'm not, that works perfectly.

"It was ok, History's not really my favourite," I reply. I notice now that Charlotte's standing next to them. I know her fairly well, since she's in more of my classes.
"Hey." I smile warmly at her.
"Hi," she says, smiling in return.

I decide to change the subject, trying to avoid the awkward silence that's falling upon us;
"Did you guys hear about what Captain Man and Kid Danger did yesterday?" I ask. Jasper eagerly nods his head.
"Yeah! They're awesome!" he exclaims.

I look over at Henry and Charlotte. They share a glance before Henry looks down at his feet, looking uncomfortable.
Huh, weird.

I could understand me being a bit uncomfortable, since I kind of know where their lair is, but I'm not. Part of my obsession with keeping my secret, is to never look, or sound, suspicious.

I continue to talk with Jasper about Captain Man and Kid Danger with Charlotte and Henry standing there awkwardly, listening.

"Hey look! It's almost time for class!" Henry exclaims suddenly, interrupting me.
"Oh. Yeah I guess it is," I say, even though we could realistically wait for a few more minutes, since the classroom is right across the hall.

Henry turns around, and walks quickly into class while Charlotte and Jasper follow him. I do too, but as slowly as possible. I actively hate school, so I try to avoid it as long as possible. I wait until the last possible minute to go into the class. I then take my seat, which is the desk next to Henry.

Many girls have asked to switch spots with me since the beginning of the school year, but I'm not going to get in trouble with my crazy teacher, just because another girl's in love with Henry. Get in line girls, it's a pretty long one.

Our teacher is late, so I turn to talk with Henry, deciding to give him a chance to prove he's not as annoying as I currently think. He's fiddling with the watch he always wears on his wrist. It looks really familiar, definitely similar to the one I know Kid Danger wears.
"Cool watch," I say to him. He looks up at me, startled.
"Oh, uh. Thanks," he replies quickly. He appears to be really nervous for some reason that I can't place.

"My friend has one like it," I say casually. I'm not really friends with Kid Danger, but I do know him, and obviously I'm not going to go right out and say that I'm friends with Kid Danger.
"Oh, really?" Henry asks. He smirks, almost as if he knows something I don't.

Just then, Ms. Shapen walks in, taking away any chance I have at asking him for more information.

Time for class. I think to myself with a sigh.