Chapter 2

The school bell rings to end the day, and I grab my bag off the floor beside my desk, before heading out the door.

I'm literally two feet from my locker, when I hear someone call my name.
"Hey Sarah!" I turn around. It's Charlotte, with Henry and Jasper. I'm kind of surprised to see them, as I don't know them that well. We have a similar friend group, and Charlotte's in a lot of my classes, but I have never really had a conversation with Henry and Jasper before today.

"Hey," I reply, smiling. "What's up?"
"Oh. We just wanted to know if you wanted to come with us to Henry's house, to work on our history project," Charlotte says to me, regarding me almost curiously.

I had forgotten. They had offered to let me join their project group, since I had been away when groups were chosen, and I didn't have a group because of it.

"Yeah, sure. Just let me check with my parents." I grab my phone out of my pocket, and send my mom a quick text. She responds only seconds later.
"What did your mom say?" Jasper asks, looking really excited. I can't help but laugh at his enthusiasm.

"She says it's fine, as long as we're actually working and I come home at a decent time. She also wants to know if you guys need or want a ride?"
"Yeah, that'd be great, actually," Henry answers.
"Ok cool. She'll be here in 10 minutes. Meet by the front doors?" They all nod in agreement.

I turn back to my locker and open it. I grab my history stuff, and repack my bag. I turn around, and realize I'm not alone.

Charlotte's been there, leaning against the lockers, the whole time.
"Hey," she says, nodding her head at me casually.
"Um, hi?" I reply, somewhat confused by the way she's acting.

She stands up straight, in what I think is an attempt to look more intimidating, but she only comes up to my nose, so that I have to look down at her.
"So Henry told me you like his watch?" The way she says it, it's almost like she's interrogating me. Maybe she thinks I like Henry too.
"Yeah. I said it was cool, that's all, no big deal. Why?" I ask, still confused by the way she's acting.
"Oh, no reason," she replies, look as though she's trying to be casual.

"Sarah! I want to show you my bucket collection!" Jasper exclaims, suddenly running up from somewhere that I didn't see.
"Uh, sure," I say, smiling at him tentatively, unsure of what I'm getting myself into.
"Good luck with that," Charlotte says to me with an indifferent expression in her face. Her tone kind of scares me.

I look over at her, trying to understand what she meant, but by now it's too late and Jasper is already dragging me away to his locker. Once there, he shows me countless buckets. There's different colors, sizes, and styles. Before now, I didn't even know there were different bucket styles. Each bucket he owns has a different backstory as to how it became a part of his collection. By the time he's down telling me about all of them except one, I remember none of the stories.

Jasper is just finishing up telling me about a small, metal bucket, when I fell my phone vibrate in my pocket.
"See. It's a mini bucket!" he explains, very excitedly. I smile patiently because Jasper's adorableness before I check my phone.

"Hey look. My mom's here!" I quickly show him my phone screen before shoving it back in my pocket.

He looks disappointed, as he puts the so called, 'Mini bucket' back in his locker.
"Okay, let's go," he says, once he firmly closes his locker. I can tell for sure that he is a little upset.
"You can show me the rest another time, okay? I promise," I say to him, trying to smile as nicely as possible, without looking creepy.
"Yay!" he exclaims happily. He runs off towards the front doors, and I trail behind slowly.

We make it outside, to see Henry and Charlotte waiting patiently next to the large stone steps.
"Hey," Henry greets us first. He turns to look at me, and I feel a little awkward at the way he seems to be studying me. All I think is; what do you want bud?

I know my face is conveying that message, because Henry quickly turns away. Charlotte is standing next to Henry, eyes on her phone screen.

"Oh, hey. Is your mom here?" she asks as she looks up and notices me standing there.
"Yeah. That's her car pulling in right now," I answer, pointing at my mom's car.
"Sweet," she says in reply with a friendly smile, which I return.

Henry looks over at Jasper.
"Where'd you guys go anyways?" he asks. Charlotte rolls her eyes.
"Where do you think?" she asks sarcastically.
"Oh," Henry says, smirking at me as he realizes that Jasper went to show me his buckets.

He then seems to do a double take, squinting at me, like he's sizing me up.
"Hey Sarah, do you have a sister? An older one maybe?" he asks suddenly. I look at him in confusion as I don't understand why he would ask that.

"No, I'm an only child," I answer truthfully.
"Oh," he says, seeming discouraged. "You just look like someone I know."
"I do. I look like myself, and you know me," I say smartly, smirking at him.
"Ha, ha. So funny!" he exclaims sarcastically, before sticking his tongue out, and flashing me his almost trademarked grin.

Just then, my mom drives her car up next to us, ending our conversation. I grab the passenger door handle, swinging the door open. I dump my bag on the seat, and open the rear, passenger side door of the SUV.

I have to climb in to put the back seats up. I finish, and clamber out, jumping onto the pavement, completely ignoring the running board.

"Hop in," I say to Henry, Charlotte, and Jasper with a polite smile. They breeze by me, into the car, and I get in the front.
"Everybody have their seat belts on?" my mom asks. I turn, and look back at the other kids in the back.
"Yep," Jasper answers, with a giant grin on his face, as per usual. Charlotte and Henry nod their heads, and I turn back to my mom.
"We're good."
"Alrighty then!" she says perkily. She puts the car in drive, and pulls out of the parking lot.

Once on the road, she looks up at her rearview mirror. "So, who are your friends Sarah?" she asks me. I feel my face heat up and know it's likely turning red. I don't have to look to know that Henry and Charlotte are smirking.
"Oh, these are my friends from History. We're doing a project together."
"I'm Charlotte."
"Henry."
"I'm a Bucketeer!"
"A what?" my mom asks in confusion, looking at Jasper in her mirror.

Henry, Charlotte, and I burst out laughing.
"Don't ask mom!" I say, gasping for breath. Charlotte and Henry aren't even close to being done laughing any time soon, and neither am I.

"Oh, my name's Jasper, by the way."
"Nice to meet you, uh, Jasper," my mom says with a polite smile. She looks back at the road, and doesn't say a thing for the rest of the trip.

It seems like forever, with the awkward silence and all, but we finally make it to Henry's.
"This is the address you gave me," my mom says to Henry as she pulls into the driveway.
"Yep, this is it. Thank you," Henry says, smiling at my mom. We all hop out of the car and the other start walking up to the front door.
"Bye mom!" I yell to her, before following the rest of the group towards the front. Henry opens the door for us, and we all step inside.

I wonder how many other girls at school will kill for the opportunity I have now; going to Henry Hart's house.