Chapter 4

Sarah's POV

I watch Henry run up the stairs, he doesn't even glance back at us. I look over at Charlotte, who's bitting her lip, looking nervous.
"Where'd he go?" I ask her. She looks at me, but I can see she's clearly distracted by something.

"Oh, probably his room. Don't worry about it," she replies, brushing off my question as if it's nothing, but it's obviously bugging her.

I decide I'm going to find out what's really going on. I'm already suspicious, since Henry and Charlotte always seem to be acting really mysterious. Time to find out the truth. What are they hiding?

"Does Henry have any band-aids?" I ask, hoping it's upstairs, where Henry is. "I nicked my finger on the poster board," I add as explanation.
"Hall closet. It's right at the end of the hall, you can't miss it," Charlotte answers, pointing to upstairs.
"Thanks," I say, making sure not to sound too excited. I don't need to attract unwanted attention.

"Wait! I can show you my bucket podcasts in Henry's room!" Jasper exclaims, jumping up too.
"Jasper! Henry's in his room right now!" Charlotte says, clearly annoyed.
"But I want to..." Charlotte shoots him a murderous look. "But, buckets..." Jasper says trailing off. Charlotte's gaze however stays steady despite his protests.
"Am I gonna to have to slap a boy?" she asks with an eyebrow raised. Jasper's face pales.

I quietly sneak away. I'm pretty sure I don't want to get in the middle of that.

I hurry up the stairs, and I see the closet. But I also see what I assume is Henry's room. The door is open a crack, and it sounds like he's talking to someone. I creep quietly up to the door, I can't see anything, but I can definitely hear a part of the conversation.

"I'm not coming Ray! I'm busy!" I hear Henry say.
"Henry, you have to come. I pay you nine dollars an hour!" I hear another voice whine in reply.

It sounds kind of familiar, but I don't know from where. It's definitely a man's voice.
Weird, is Henry talking to his dad?

That still doesn't explain the secrecy though. I try to move so I can see; it looks like Henry's talking to his watch.

I'm about to move so I can see more, but just then, a floorboard creeks under my foot. I see Henry look towards the door. I swear under my breath, and make a run for the closet. I have the door closed before Henry can poke his head out.

I hear his door close all the way, and I hear what sounds like muffled voices say;
"It was nothing, probably just my little sister."

I breathe a sigh of relief. Henry didn't catch me, but he was definitely talking into his watch.
Where on earth did he get it?

I exit the bathroom, and head back towards Henry's room. He still seems to be arguing with someone. Before I can do anything, Henry's door opens.

He sees me instantly.
"Sarah?" he exclaims. He looks kind of nervous.
"Oh, hey. I was just getting a band-aid." I say, jerking my thumb in the direction of the closet.
"Oh, ok," Henry says, his eyes flitting nervously around the hall. I'm glad I had time to wrap a band aid around my finger.

"Listen, I need to go to work. Maybe you and Jasper could work on the project?"
"What about Charlotte?" I ask. Henry looks at me, freezing in place.
"Oh. Um. She's.. Uh. She has to come too!" Henry says, he then turns and bolts down the stairs.

I stand there, dumbfounded. I get over my shock and run downstairs, just in time to see Henry and Charlotte run out the door.

"Hey Sarah!" Jasper exclaims, waving at me from the couch. I wave back, from where I'm standing on the stairs. I feel my phone vibrate, at least I think it's my phone.

But when I reach in, I realize my phone isn't in that pocket, it's the small device Captain Man gave me.

It kind of looks like a phone, but it's like a mini communication device. He can contact me in hologram, or through text. There's also like mini gadget settings built in, it's actually quite cool.

I check the screen, there's one message;
"Emergency. Get here now!"

"Sorry Jasper I have to go!" I yell, sprinting out the door.