Chapter 7

Henry's POV

I'm not going to lie. It did hurt my feelings a little when Ray gave Sparkly that watch. I thought that was my thing. Well apparently not.

Anyways, we were now arriving at the perfume store and there were obvious indications of a struggle. Somehow, the lit-up sign that hangs high above the entrance had been smashed in.

How someone even managed to reach that, I don't know. Not even Shawn, the not-so-14 year-old basketball player, was that tall.

Sparkly runs in the door ahead of Ray and I. She's so shy towards us, but I wouldn't want to get in the way of her when she's fighting. She could probably snap my neck.

Ray hasn't told me much about her. All I know is that she's the same age as me, and Ray didn't even tell me that. I just guessed and she admitted it.

I've never seen her without her mask, but somehow she must have discovered something secret about Captain Man or his work, because otherwise Ray would never have given her a job.

She is pretty good at fighting, but she runs away when the other people show up, she can't look me in the eye, and there's so many other things that get on my nerves. Then I catch myself.

I have a crush on Sparkly. There's no other explanation that I can come up with. I don't even know how that makes sense, but here I am, listing faults to try and make myself dislike her.

I feel myself blush. Ray turns around to look at me.
"Are you coming or not?" he yells, before continuing into the store.

I shake all the other thoughts out of my head, and run inside. The stench from a million different perfumes is overpowering. My eyes start to water, and I begin to gag. I can vaguely make out Ray fighting some guy with a golf club, and Sparkly is...Well, she's simply destroying 3 other guys in hand-to-hand combat.

I'm not really sure why 4 guys feel the need to rob a perfume store though, it's not like tomorrow's Valentine's Day and they forgot to get their girlfriends a present.

I run up to one of the guys as he stumbles backwards, after Sparkly had punched him. I give him a good, swift, hard kick to the stomach. I feel it connect, as he goes flying backwards, into a glass counter. I wince as the glass shatters, but I don't have time to dwindle on it, since there's currently a crazed looking, fat man, running at me with a baseball bat. He takes a swing at me, but I jump out of the way.

Before he can take another swing, I charge him. I run full-out, he sees me coming and freaks, turning around to run. I take that as the perfect opportunity to jump on his back. He flails helplessly, but it's of no use. You couldn't shake me even if your life depended on it. I was like Ray and Pizza—I wasn't letting go.

Sparkly and Ray finish up with their guys, and look over at me. I wave at them, with a grin on my face.
"Having fun?" Ray yells, semi-annoyed, but I can tell, this also amuses him.

Sparkly however, decides to take matters into her own hands. She runs up, and kicks the guy in the groin. Ray and I both wince, as the guy tumbles downwards. I roll off, uninjured.

"Interesting choice of moves," she says to me. It's almost like she's forgotten how shy she normally is.
"I could say the same to you," I reply, flashing her a grin. Then, she seems to remember that she's supposed to be shy, and she looks down at her feet. Ray walks up to us.
"Great job today, guys," he tells us, and pats me on the back.

All of a sudden Sparkly's watch starts beeping, like a weird high pitched tone. Mine's never done that before. She looks up at Ray, startled. "Oh yeah. I installed a feature so it beeps when the news people are close," Ray explains.
Her eyes widen behind her mask.

"Bye guys!" she yells with a quick wave. She's gone faster then Ray can heal. I look over at Ray and he just shrugs his shoulders.

I'm not the only one that thinks that's weird right? Like, it's cool to get recognized, even if no one knows it's you. And even if your own sister calls you hot.
I shudder at that thought.

A news van pulls up in front of the door. Ray and I go to talk to them. Gotta fill our superhero obligations.