Chapter 35

Sarah's POV

Being back at my house with both my parents, my aunt, my grandparents, and my boss, is a great feeling. Everyone is safe, and mostly happy. I think my parents are hiding the fact they're worried about Lord X's new plan. Because if he succeeds, it doesn't matter where they go or what they do, he'll always be able to find them, AND me. I think that's what concerns them the most for some reason.

Everyone is gathered around the table in the dining room, my mom managed to get a takeout buffet ordered and delivered in the short time it took us to get home. I have absolutely no idea how, it shouldn't be possible.

Whatever the villains had been doing at the dam, there was no trace of it. They'd been prepared to leave at a moment's notice. So it was basically impossible to predict their next move, which I knew would drive my parents even more crazy than they already were.

They were doing a good job of hiding it, talking with the other adults, laughing away. But I've known them my entire life, so I'd like to think I'm pretty good at reading them. I can see the worry in their eyes, and I catch them glancing over at me every few minutes, it's almost as if they still don't believe I can handle myself, but maybe that's because they're my parents. I don't really know, to be perfectly honest. I mean, I'm only like fourteen right, what could I possibly know?

Apparently a lot more than I had originally thought. I had been proving myself pretty often recently. I'd also kind of changed, it'd be hard to notice unless you really knew me, I barely even noticed myself. But I was more assertive, I'd look you in the eye, I'd challenge you, and I'd stand up for things. As me, I might've done those things in the past, but as a sidekick, I never would have dreamed about it. It was such a drastic change in such a small time period. Weird right?

My aunt clears her throat, to get everyone's attention. Ray is standing beside her, still wearing his Captain Man stuff. Everyone looks up and comes closer to see what's up. Debbie is standing a few feet away from me. I can see the look of panic on her face and she seems to be mouthing something at her mom. I try to catch her eye, but to no avail. When everyone has stopped talking, my aunt continues.
"Well, ha! I don't know how to say this, and this should never leave this room, but..." She pauses and looks at Ray, who grimaces and nods at her to continue. I wonder if there's something I'm missing, I didn't even know my aunt and Ray knew each other. "Ryan isn't Debbie's father guys!" She blurts out. I hear a smack and just see out of the corner of my eye as Debbie facepalms. Everyone else kinda looks at each other. My mom starts laughing, and us kids, Ray, and my aunt look at her in shock.
"Oh that's funny! You thought we didn't know that?" My mom asks. My grandparents are laughing too, like this is some hilarious joke. I stare at my mom, wondering if she's crazy. My dad's smiling, trying not to laugh though.
"You knew?" My aunt exclaims, as confused as I am.
"We've known since Debbie got her powers. Genetics tend to tell you some things." My mom grins.
"Like what?" I ask. I try to keep my voice level. Inside though, all I can think about is, if genetics told them about Debbie through her powers, what did they think of me and my genetics and almost no powers for years? And why were my powers so different my parents?

My mom looks at me, now looking surprised. I wonder if she can read my mind, figuratively, and literally. Her face softens into a smile.
"Well, if someone had one powered parent and one non-powered parent, their powers tend to be weaker than normally expected. Which was not the case when Debbie got hers. That's all." She finishes. It doesn't really answers the questions in my head though. I'm going to assume my mom can't read my mind, hopefully.
"Oh, okay." I say. I take a deep breath to calm myself. The conversation fades, as the adults congregate into one big blob, and my friends form their own group. I'm okay to get some air by myself right now.