Chapter 36

Henry's POV

Don't get me started about the whole Sarah situation. Oh, man. I don't feel great about how everything ended up, but we're still friends. Good friends.

I think that for right now, it's a pretty good situation. I've got lots of time before I need to figure relationships out, I'm only in middle school for goodness sake!

Sigh. Life sucks sometimes, you know that? I mean there's some pretty good parts, but sometimes you just don't have a good day and you feel like your life is over. For some reason, I feel like mine might as well have been over. Maybe I should be a bit happier after our victory earlier, but it feels kind of hollow, since we still aren't sure how to find the villains because no one from the "superhero-whatever-you-call-it" will reveal the location of the rest of the list, in hopes the bad guys won't find it. But honestly, I think the bad guys already know where it is, they just don't know how to go about stealing it yet.

As soon as we got downstairs, the adults banished us to the traning room. I'm guessing they wanted us to train and stuff, hence the name of the room, but we're currently just playing Ping Pong. It's Charlotte and myself, against Sarah and Debbie.

"Burn!" Debbie yells, as Sarah smacks the ball past Charlotte to win a point.
"Oh come on!" Charlotte exclaims, frustrated. "That's three straight losses." She turns to me and glares accusingly. "Get your head out of the clouds and into the game!" I hold my hands up in protest.
"Need I remind you that I told you going into this that I'm going be playing terribly today, but YOU said it was fine?" I say defensively. She rolls her eyes and turns back to the game. We get to serve first since we just got our butts handed to us.

Charlotte picks up the ball since she knows I've sucked at serving the last four times. Sarah and Debbie are grinning at us, ready for another epic fail on our part. Charlotte hits the ball hard, off the table and towards the other two girls. I cheer internally as it looks like it's going in between them. But at the last second, Sarah super speeds her hand holding the paddle into deflecting it with such force she leaves a dent in our side of the table.
"Hey that's cheating!" Charlotte exclaims, frustrated.
"Sorry! Reflexes!" Sarah defends herself.
"Doesn't matter, we get a point, not you!" I exclaim, pointing my paddle at them indignantly.
"Fine!" Sarah exclaims, she and Debbie burst into laughter.
"What?" I exclaim.
"You know you looked ridiculous right? With your paddle pointed at us and your hair flopping everywhere as you try to play?" Now even Charlotte is giggling.
"Oh, thanks a lot guys!" I look down at the floor and cross my arms in front of me. I try to remain like that, but I can't help it, and I start laughing too.

It's at that moment that Sarah's dad pokes his head into the room. Sarah's always described her parents as being strict, with lots of rules and being overprotective. I just can't see it in her dad, he's smiling and looks nothing like the insane parent Sarah has described. Although, I think I vaguely remember him in insane parent mode at some point in time. Something about the weather being bad and her not supposed to go outside? I don't really know, I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.

"Hey guys, how goes it?" He asks. The others look over and take notice of him.
"It would be going a lot better if you'd let us help you." Sarah huffs. Her dad smiles at her sympathetically.
"Life sucks sometimes. But it just so happens we have more experience being superheroes and chasing these villains." Her dad points out.
"I guess." Sarah mutters to herself. I don't know why she's backing off so easily, she's usually much more assertive, at least in my opinion.

Her dad walks up to her and puts his arms around her in a hug. She hugs him back, and it might just be my imagination, but it looks like she pulls a paper or something out of  his back pocket. I only saw it for a second so I'm not sure if I saw anything at all. I shrug it off as Sarah pulls out of his embrace, it seems unlikely she'd rob her dad.