Chapter 28

Sarah's POV

I open my front door, expecting to see my parents. But instead, it's Debbie.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I ask, surprised.

"I'm here to help you." She grins.
"Really? My parents are okay with that?"

"Yes, we are." my mom walks into the hall from the kitchen.

"Oh, okay." I say, looking at my mother, slightly startled.

"Debbie will actually be very helpful to you, since she's your age and at your school. If you ever need help, she can back you up." My mom adds.
"What about my friends?" I ask, confused.
"Obviously they can help you too, but they don't have powers so they might struggle." my mom explains.

"So you're still okay with me hanging out with them? And the fact they know my secrets?" I look at my mother expectantly.
"I had my doubts, but they've grown on me. They seem like good kids."
"Thanks mom." I run up and hug her.

"No problem." she hugs me back.

"Just out of curiosity, how are things between you and Henry?" She looks at me slyly.
"Mom!" I exclaim, realizing what she's implying.
"Sorry! But I think he likes you." she grins.
"Mom. I'm sure he doesn't." I blush as I think back to the time he almost kissed me.
"Aha! You're blushing!" My mom points at me triumphantly.
"Yeah mom. Cause you're embarrassing me." I roll my eyes at her, trying to cover up why I really blushed.

"Well, whatever. You and Debbie can head downstairs. She knows where everything is." she waves her hand vaguely, in the direction of the basement stairs.

Debbie turns and starts walking down the stairs. We hit the basement landing. I look across the huge open space and see the panel to my parents hidden headquarters, left wide open.

Since I know about it now and my dad is down there anyways, it probably doesn't matter if it's left open.

Debbie leads the rest of the way downstairs.
"Hi dad." I great him. He's sitting in front of a console doing who knows what. He turns around to look at me.
"Hey sweetie." he sees Debbie and nods at her. "You guys can go right in." he says it mostly to Debbie.

She seems to understand what he means, because she keeps walking deeper into the cavern. Only stopping in front of a small, slim door that I must have overlooked yesterday.

She presses a button next to it, and the metal panel slides open effortlessly. I look at the back of her head quizzically, since she won't turn around to meet my gaze.

She steps through the opening into a darkened space. I follow behind her closely. The door shuts behind us with a soft "click".

Wherever we are now though, stays pitch black. I can't even see my fingers in front of my face.

Debbie suddenly claps her hands together twice, really loudly. Loud enough, that I jump, startled.

The room suddenly lights up as bunch of overhead lights turn on. We're standing in the middle of a large gym. It's gigantic. The same rock walls that were in the main room, are consistent into here.

"How big is this place?" I ask Debbie.
"Pretty big." she replies without looking at me. She's glancing at one of the walls, as if she's looking for something.
"So what are we doing?" I ask.
"As soon as I find what I'm looking for, we'll start training." she answers. "Aha! There it is!" She exclaims triumphantly. She hits a small grey button mounted on the wall. It almost blends in perfectly with the rock.

Another panel, off to the side of the entrance, slides open.
"What's in there?" I question.
"Training gear." Debbie replies, walking into the room. She reappears with a bunch of padding in her hands.