Chapter 12

Sarah's POV

Yesterday was a busy day. Met some new people. Discovered some secrets. You know, same old, same old.

Last night after I got home, I pretty much just crashed. I was exhausted. I had gotten triple beeped twice in one day! Not to mention, I kinda fell out of a tree.

This morning, I woke up late. So getting out the door for school on time was an interesting ordeal.

"Ok, you really need to start getting up earlier." My mom tells me, as I buckle my seatbelt.

"I had a busy day yesterday, ok? I was tired." I reply. The annoyance in my voice is evident.

"Someone's grumpy today." My mother replies. I roll my eyes at her, before slumping back in my seat.

I close my eyes. The effects of yesterday's exhaustion still linger. It's not a very long ride, and I'm forced to get up and leave the car.

I wrap myself in my sweater and walk into the building. I see Henry and Jasper standing by the lockers. As I get closer, I can see Henry's actually appears to be asleep in his locker.
"Hey Jasper," I say.

"Hey Sarah." He smiles at me, then he goes back to staring at Henry sleeping inside his locker.
"That makes it twice, this has happened." Jasper tells me, pointing at Henry.

"That actually describes my relationship with school so well." I laugh. Jasper joins in with me me. Our laughter wakes Henry up.
"What happened!" he exclaims, sending Jasper and I into more giggles. "What!" Henry says, frustrated at our lack of response.

"Nothing," I say, still laughing. Henry rolls his eyes at me, but doesn't say anything else

At that moment, Charlotte walks up to us.
"Hey guys. What's so funny?" she questions, glancing at Henry's annoyed face.

"I'll tell you later," I reply, with a grin.

She shrugs. "Alright." She then looks at the boys. "Can I steal Sarah for a minute please?" she asks.

Henry nods his head. "Yeah sure." Jasper however, just stands there. Henry elbows him. "Come on Jasper." Henry looks pointedly at him. Jasper still doesn't get seem to get it, so Henry grabs his arm and pulls him away.

Finally they're gone.
"What's up Char?" I ask.

"So, about you being Sparkly."

I look at her warily. "Yeah?"

"Are you going to tell Henry and Ray?" she asks. I purse my lips.

"I dunno. Maybe. If it comes up then I might." I squirm under intense gaze—it makes me a bit uncomfortable. "I don't really want to talk about it Char," I say to her.

She smiles understandingly. "Ok, I get it. I'm going to head to class," she says, motioning with her head in the direction of History class.

"I'll meet up with you later," I promise. She smiles and walks away, and I rest against my locker, contemplating everything that's happened in the last short little bit.

I don't get much time though, cause soon my watch starts beeping. At first I think it's the bell, but I realize that rang a few minutes ago, and I'm already late for class. I stare at the beeping object on my wrist and grumble to myself;
"What do you want?" It's not a holographic video call though, so it's not like my question is answered.

Just then, Henry comes running from the direction of our classroom, into the deserted hallway. I shove my right wrist, with my watch on it, into my pocket.

"Everything cool?" I ask him, as nonchalantly as I can possibly manage.

"Uh, yeah. Totally," he replies, trying to be casual and laid-back.

"Nice." I nod my head.

"I gotta go, bye!" he exclaims all of a sudden. He then blows by me and out the school door. It feels weird knowing what's up, and not finding that behaviour completely weird and abnormal.

I quickly put my bag in my locker, and then run the same direction as Henry went.

It doesn't take me long to make it to Junk 'N Stuff.

"What do you need from me!" I exclaim, walking into the Man Cave. Henry and Ray turn away from their conversation to look at me. "I have school you know." I add.

"Same here!" Henry says.

"Well this is important," Ray replies. He points to the screen. "Someone's kidnapped Ms. Swellview!" he exclaims.

While I agree that a kidnapping is a big deal, I'm pretty sure Ray can handle it by himself. The criminal in the video he's showing us is Jeff.
"Um Captain Man, isn't that the guy Jeff, you're always complaining about?"

"IT'S MS. SWELLVIEW!" Ray yells. Henry and I hold up our hands in defence.

"Okay, okay!" I say with a roll of my eyes.

"Let's go!" Ray exclaims, rushing us towards the tubes.

I run up to stand under my shared tube. "Up the tube!"