(3) Heart Skips A Beat

The first show soon dawned on the cast and crew- well, all apart from Alex, who was once again late. Nina was therefore put in charge of makeup as well as costume, and she did her utmost best to live up to the high standards of John as well as Marie and whatever 'talent scout' was in the audience. Kyle usually attended the opening nights of any of the shows that Nina was involved in but tonight he was playing a show of his own and naturally he expected Nina to show up, despite her having a job of her own.

There was no time for Nina to watch the production herself. She was backstage, constantly touching up makeup, adjusting costumes, the lot, since she had not one but two jobs to do tonight but she was just coping with it. Just. She could just hear countless rounds of applause as she powdered someone's nose, or helped someone into a dress that Nina had helped to custom-make for the show.

The night felt like it dragged on a bit but soon it was half ten in the evening and time for Nina to scarper. She picked up her bag and turned to leave, walking into John on her way out, and he seemed to be looking for someone. "Nina! There you are!" He grabbed her shoulder and Nina flinched, instantly panicking. What had she done? Did she use the wrong hair extensions? Did she pick up the wrong bag? John must have noticed her internal panic because he smiled and spoke again. "Don't worry, you're not in trouble. You're in the exact opposite. There's an important man that wanted to see the makeup artist of the show so I came to find you."

Nina stood as still as a marble statue. Was it the guy who was looking for 'new talent'? The longer she stood still for, the more she convinced herself that she has no talent whatsoever and that she shouldn't go. "But I wasn't the only makeup artist, you know..."

"You did most of the work tonight, and Steven- sorry, Mr Spielberg was very impressed."

"Hold up a sec." Nina pressed a hand to her forehead, her mouth open slightly her heart skipping a beat. "Steven...Spielberg?"

*****

"Miss Ferguson." The older gentleman waiting for her in the almost empty lounge area of the theatre greeted her politely, raising from his seat and extending his hand. "Please, call me Steven."

"Call me Nina..." Nina trailed off as she shook the legends hand. This man had been producing some of her favourite movies for years. "What are you doing here?" She immediately felt like punching herself afterwards. It sounded a lot less rude in her head.

"Isn't a man allowed to enjoy a wonderful show?" He laughed at Nina's obvious nerves. "I know, it's not every day you see a Hollywood-esque man here in London. But the thing is, Nina, I'm starting a new project of mine soon, one I like to call... Dartmoor, for short. But I may as well tell you now what I'm filming, since you'll know soon enough. I'm lucky enough to be directing War Horse. We start filming next month, which is why I should apologise for the informal approach." He leant against his chair. "I want you to be on my team, Nina Ferguson. Only talented people get jobs in respectable establishments such as this and I believe you to be very talented. But tell me, how good are you with horses?"

*****

It was well over half an hour before Nina got over being starstruck and at least another half an hour on top of that until she left on a high. Steven had given her a way to contact him to get all the details that she needed to know, and as she went to put her phone away it started to vibrate quite violently.

"Hello?" Nina answered the phone as she strode down the dark street, shivering slightly.

"It's me!" Molly squeaked down the phone. "I have some really cool news!"

"Bet it's not cooler than mine, but go on, you go first, since whatever it must have been important enough for you to call me at this time." Nina laughed weakly, praying for it not to rain.

"I've found out that Tom Hiddleston is gonna be in a new film coming out next year!"

"Oh, yeah? What's it called?"

"War Horse!" For the second time that night, Nina's heart skipped a beat and she was at a loss for words...again. "Nina, are you still there?"

"Yeah...yeah, I'm here." She was pretty sure her mind had just imploded.

"So, what's your news?" Nina had a dilemma now. Should she tell her sister that the actor she was oh-so-obsessed with was her soon-to-be work colleague? Or lie to her for the first time since the childhood cookie incidents?

"Uh...I've got offered a job...thingy. Working on a, uh, set for something." Great, Nina, very convincing. "It's, a little while away, uh... Devon, I think..."

"Devon! Aww, Kyle's gonna be pining for you!" And for the final time that night, Nina's heart skipped a beat. Kyle. The show.

"Molly, I have to call you back." And with that, she ended the call and desperately tried to find the bar where Kyle would either be playing his show, drunk...or both.

*****

The bar was noisy and filled with people as Nina forced her way into the small room. There was a clattering noise somewhere and she could only assume that it was Kyle's band.

"Thank you, and goodnight!" A deep voice yelled over a mic. Crap. They'd finished and Nina was screwed. Should she go back home? Should she stay and apologise? Her decision was made when Kyle pushed his way through the crowd and stared angrily at her.

"You're late. Come on, we're going home." He grabbed her wrist and yanked her out of the bar.

"Not staying for a drink...?" Nina said hopefully, clutching her bag as Kyle near enough dragged her unceremoniously down the street.

"No. We're going home, and you're not leaving the flat unless I'm with you. So who did you bed tonight, then? Was he good?"

"I was at work, Kyle!"

"What were you doing so late at work then?"

"I was at an important meeting, if you must know! It's my business, not yours, okay?!" Nina blurted, instantly regretting it as Kyle stormed into their apartment, still clutching her wrist, and he slammed the door so hard Nina was surprised that it didn't snap in two.

"I don't believe you."

[A/N] drop a vote if you like...? i know this might be a bit unrealistic, but it's more realistic than kyle growing a second head at least. well...you never know. i'll just shut up now.
yours truly :) x