(16) Alone Together

After seeing Molly off and avoiding the few paparazzi members who had been milling around the area recently, Tom and Nina made their way back to the hotel at about four o'clock. It was already starting to get slightly dimmer outside as they made their way in.

"Nina, can I ask you something?"

"You kinda just did..." Nina replied, to which Tom let out a soft laugh. Tom's laughs weren't fake, and she'd heard a lot of fake laughter on her lifetime; a lot of it being her own. But Tom laughed freely, like he didn't have a care in the world despite being in a current rise to fame. "I was kidding with you. Ask away."

"Do you run?"

"Excuse me?"

"I was planning on going for a run before dinner since I didn't get to go this morning. It helps me unwind after the day and sometimes it's a bit lonely with only my iPod singing to me. I was wondering if you'd like to come with?" He fiddled with his own fingers, almost appearing anxious.

"Jeez, Tom, relax. You're not asking me on a date." Nina laughed- not fake. Tom had made her laugh more in the short time that they'd known each other than Kyle had made her laugh in their entire relationship.

"Well, I was going to say we could grab dinner afterwards..." He shrugs.

Nina stopped her laughter but a fragment of it remained; the upward curve of her lips as she decided on her answer. "I'd love to, Tom. You'll have to bear with though as excersice is not generally a good friend of mine."

"I'll put in a good word for you."

*****

Nina dug around desperately in her case for her sports bra. She had one, she knew she did, but where the hell was it? She had her leggings, a pair of trainers and an old hoodie but her sports bra was nowhere in sight.

Tom would be there in about five minutes and her hair still looked a mess too. She caught a glimpse of herself in the little mirror in the bedroom and cringed slightly; her roots needing re-dying soon.

Eventually she pulled the sports bra out. The black material crumpled in her hand as she gathered up her things hurriedly and rushed into her bathroom. She hastily pulled everything on and decided to call Kyle when she had a spare moment.

He hadn't rung her and she wanted to know if he was still desperate to talk to her. The phone was ringing as there was a knock on Nina's door. She stumbled quickly through her apartment and as she put her hand on the door, Kyle answered. She rolled her eyes and swung open the door.

Tom was leaning up against the door frame, his devastating blue eyes fixated on her. He had on a tight grey shirt that didn't leave much to the imagination and dark running shorts which clung to his slender muscles. Nina smiled awkwardly and beckoned him in, holding the phone to her ear. "Kyle? Are you there?"

"What do you want? You never call me at good times, Nina, I'm at rehearsal!" He replied loudly, angrily and Nina flinched. Tom seemed to notice and his brow furrowed in concern. "What is it?"

"I was...just...I wanted...check up..." Nina stumbled over her words much as she'd stumbled her way around earlier.

"You're pathetic, Nina. I'll talk to you later." He hung up and Nina bit down on her lip, throwing her phone across the room, landing it on the plush chair. She'd had enough of Kyle for one day.

"Are you ok?" Tom touched her forearm gently, looking down at her. He was a lot taller looking when he was looming over her. "That sounded like some check up."

"No, no, I'm fine..." She gulped, took a steadying breath and forced a smile but that wasn't enough for Tom. He pulled her into a tight, warm hug, and she almost sighed at the feel of his muscles pressed against her weakening body. Her hair stuck to her damp cheeks, still unbrushed as it obscured her vision.

"Are you sure you're fine?" Tom whispered softly, rubbing her back.

"Yes, yes." Nina pulled back, thankful she wasn't wearing any eye makeup. "Lets...let's go..."

Tom looked at her, completely unconvinced but he smiled once again. "Just keep your head down, okay? I don't mind paparazzi too much and I adore meeting fans but I don't want you to get dragged into anything. Now come on, let's go do some exercise."

Nina followed Tom closely out of the hotel and they soon broke into a quick-paced jog. Nina struggled to keep up with Tom, taking two whole strides for every one of his. He noticed and slowed down, but Nina got frustrated. All she was doing was holding him back. Why had she agreed to this anyways?

A wild tree root appeared out of nowhere, catching Nina by surprise. She skidded to a sudden halt on her knees, feeling the ground cut into her palms. Tom was slightly ahead but noticed her absence and he ran back once he saw her trying to get up.

"Oh my..." Tom muttered softly. He put an arm around her waist as a gesture to support her as she stood up, but Nina felt her cheeks flame at his touch. "What happened?"

"It was just, a...uh..." Nina winced. "A gravity check. Yeah. Still works."

"Yes, yes, and the cuts on your knees and hands were just you practicing for set?" Tom laughed quietly, the crinkles soon appearing by his eyes, lighting his whole face up. "Let's get you back. I have a first aid kit in my room."

"So you anticipated going jogging with a clumsy friend who might just become a damsel in distress?"

"You can never be too sure." Nina took a few steps forward, but only slowly.

"My publicist is going to murder me."

"Wha-" Nina was cut short as one of Nina's arms collided with the back of her knees, sweeping her off of his feet and into his arms. "Tom, put me down!"

"What, and drag you through the park to the nearest taxi rank?"

"Not quite what I had in mind..." Nina had never felt so embarrassed yet so amused in her entire life.

"Now, do hush and just let me be the knight in shining armour."

*****

Nina was pretty much holding her breath as they got into the taxi and exhaled as soon as they pulled away from the kerb. "Sorry for ruining your evening." Nina mumbled, staring out of the window.

"You didn't ruin it. You just...spiced it up a little." Tom laughed, reaching over and squeezing her hand gently. "And as it happens, I found this great curry place for later. I think Annie, Benedict and a few others might show their faces too, and probably the paparazzi." He sighs, ruffling his own hair. "What I'd give to go for a week without dozens of cameras flashing in my face and turning my life from private to public."

"Would you give up Shakespeare?" Nina smiled coyly.

"Absolutely not!" Tom looked genuinely horrified for a moment before relaxing. "In all fairness though, I don't mind the paparazzi and the occasional horde of fans. It's because of them that I'm here now and for that, I'm eternally grateful...and also very cliché."

[A/N] not one of my best but there you have it! who else has seen tom's jogging scene in suburban shootout? drop a vote for those legs...and that butt...
yours truly :) x