(18) Kiss Me

Nina ate her curry near silently as everyone else around the table chatted away about goodness knows what. The conversation seemed to revolve around Tom; not in a self-centred kind of way but in the sense that he was always contributing, responding, listening and keeping the banter going.

Nina subconsciously noted that the conversation moved on to theatre. "You worked in London, didn't you?" Tom looked over at Nina, and so did everybody else. Brilliant. Nina hastily swallowed her mouthful of chicken and looked at everyone's expectant faces.

"Er...yeah..." She smiled weakly, feeling under pressure. "I did work as hair and making costumes but then duty called and apparently I was good at makeup."

"Tom waxed poetic about you yesterday, Nina. He wouldn't shut up about how brilliant his hair and makeup artist was." Benedict looked pointedly over at Tom, and it was clearly his turn to feel awkward. "You are rather good though, to be approached like that. How long have you been in the business?"

"When I was four or five I used to make outfits for my dolls. My mum picked up on that and as I got older I made bigger and more intricate items. She used to be an actress in the company that I work for now and I owe all this to her. She lives in Devon actually, so I plan on going and thanking her in person." Nina poked at her rice, looking around the table.

"You'll have to pass on our thanks, then." Annie hiccuped beside Nina, raising her glass over the table. "To Mrs Ferguson!"

"To Mum." Nina giggled quietly, holding up her glass. Her bag was on her lap and it started vibrating then, and Nina groaned. "Excuse me for a second..." Tom stood up to let her out of the booth but he caught her arm, twisting her to face him and leaning in to her ear to speak.

"Is it Kyle?" Tom said softly, his breath tickling her ear. Nina nodded and Tom stepped out of the way. Nina pulled out her phone and walked to stand outside the door and as the restaurant door shut behind her, a bunch of cat-calls sounded from where Tom had just seated himself. Nina sighed and pressed the phone to her ear.

"Kyle, what do you want...?" Nina started, her stomach having dropped so far down it was probably in Australia by now.

"I want you, Nina." Kyle slurred at her.

"Kyle, I'm out-"

"Out? Out? Without me? Are you out with those snobby actor-types?"

"They're not snobby-"

"So you are out with them! Snogged them yet? Took them to bed?"

"No, Kyle-"

"You're a cheat, Nina."

"Says you." The words were out of Nina's mouth before she could stop them and she internally slapped herself. The door beside her opened and she didn't notice Tom until he stood in front of her, looking a little tipsy but sober enough to glare at the phone in Nina's hand.

Kyle started drunkenly shouting at her down the phone then, and Nina winced, holding the phone away from her face. Then suddenly the phone wasn't in her hand, it was in Tom's hand and he was staring at the sky, his eyes hardened as he began to speak.

"Stop, stop, stop..." Tom's jaw set, and he focused his eyes back on Nina. "You're Kyle, right? Nina's...partner? Yes, yes...no. No, she's not. Yes, I work with her. No. Nina is very, very talented, and she's lovely to work with. Please, do listen here. Nina is one of the best people I've had the pleasure to work with. She's gorgeous, talented..." Tom carried on having a small argument with Kyle but Nina zoned out. Had he really just called her gorgeous?

Tom eventually handed her phone back, his mouth set into a grimace. He disappeared inside, and a few spots of rain fell onto Nina's face. The call had been ended and Nina sniffed, re-entering the restaurant. She sat quietly at the end of the booth next to Tom, and despite being tipsy still he managed to catch on that there was something wrong.

"What did he say?" He leaned into her ear and Nina just stared at her feet. "Nina, please talk to me, darling."

"He said nothing, Tom. I'm scared. What if he dumps me after filming? What if he dumps me whilst we're filming?"

"He won't, Nina, he won't." Tom out his arm around her and she leant into him slowly, as if she were unsure of whether he was actually there or not. He was warm, and he smelt of tea and something else that was sweet and calming. Nina relaxed, closing her eyes and she heard Tom say something, but what it was she wasn't quite sure.

Eventually she sat back up, rubbing at her eyes carefully so as not to smudge anything. Looking around, she could see that there were a few more empty glasses strewn across the table. Tom was still right beside her, one hand resting lightly atop hers and he smiled at her when he saw that she'd come back to life.

"Evening, Sleeping Beauty." He smiled lopsidedly still, his eyes sparkling. "It's probably nearly time to go..." He looked a bit drunk, but not quite I-have-no-idea-what-is-going-on drunk. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah..." Nina mumbled softly, standing up. "Nina and Tom, signing off for the night."

"Good luck in getting him back, Nina!" Benedict called across the table.

"Shush, Benedict..." Tom pushed himself out of the booth and almost tripped over right away. "Night...night, guys..." He wandered out of the restaurant by himself and Nina sighed. Looked like she was the responsible one for the night. Annie gave her a sympathetic look as she waved, and Nina was soon speed-walking after the runaway Mr. Hiddleston.

He was luckily waiting outside, and Nina shivered slightly as the cool air made contact with her bare arms. She hadn't thought to bring a jacket earlier since it was actually still relatively warm. "You're cold..." He squinted at Nina and yanked off his jacket, holding it out to her. "Put this on, darling, or you'll freeze...like, like an ice cube..." He laughed softly at his own lame joke.

"Thanks..." She took the blue suit jacket off of him and slipped it on. There was that seemingly familiar smell again. "You wanna call for a taxi?"

"No, no, we'll walk..." Tom hiccuped quietly to himself.

*****

A short walk later, they reached the hotel. Nina stayed with Tom right up until they reached his room. "Here..." Nina slid the jacket off but Tom shook his head.

"No, no...you keep it..." He pushed her hand away. "Can I...can I have a hug, love?"

"Sure..." Nina was puzzled for a second but she obliged, wrapping her arms around his lean waist and resting her head on his chest, the top of her head barely reaching his shoulders. He rested his head softly in the crook of her neck and Nina flinched slightly as his lips pressed lightly to her flushed skin. "Tom...?"

"Yes?" He murmured, his lips brushing against her skin still.

"Tom, you probably should get going..." Nina pushed him back gently and he looked half asleep, despite being wide awake a few minutes earlier.

"Yes." He said it this time as more of a statement and not a question. "Yes, ok, well, one more thing..." He looked dazed for a moment before leaning forward slightly. Nina turned her head and his lips made contact with the corner of her mouth but mostly her cheek. "Goodnight, Nina..." He turned as if nothing had happened, let himself into his apartment, leaving Nina to wonder what the hell that was about.

[A/N] ooh, naughty tom! i actually laughed out loud as i wrote this chapter, and now unfortunately everyone thinks i'm more insane than i was before. whoops. drop a vote if you're still enjoying?
yours truly :) x