(14) Poppin' Champagne

Nina didn't realise until she looked into the mirror that she'd subconsciously dressed a lot girlier than she usually did. She had on a white blouse tucked into a pleated black skirt, over black tights and a plain pair of black flats. She grabbed her black jacket as she was leaving, making sure she had her phone and her purse. No way was Tom paying for the whole evening.

As she was digging through her handbag, looking for one final thing, her heart sank as she realised her notebook wasn't in there. Did she leave it in Tom's room? She'd have to have a sneaky look.

Whilst she'd been getting ready she'd thrown a few more texts Kyle's way but she'd still gotten nothing back. Strange, that, she thought to herself as she stood by herself in the lift. He texts her demanding answers and as soon as she does reply, he never does until the day after. It was getting frustrating for Nina and she felt like she was stuck in some kind of ditch with no-one at hand to help her out.

Well, maybe Tom would lend a hand?

She knocked on his door, tapping out beats on the floor anxiously. He soon answered, a grin spreading across his face. "Nina! You look lovely." He leaned in, placing a quick kiss on her cheek and she felt her face go red. Without another word he retreated back into his apartment, beckoning her in. "I'm almost done. Just fiddling with this tie." Nina noticed that around the collar of his immaculate white shirt was a bow tie that he was failing badly at tying up.

"Come here." Nina walked over to him and stood in front of him. "I don't know how you survive, I swear all you're able to do is eat pudding and act."

"Well, that is true to an extent." He held still as Nina's nimble fingers tied the tie neatly around his neck. "Am I allowed to be nosy and ask if your Kyle ever replied to your messages?"

"No." Nina sighed miserably, dropping her hands away from Tom. "I don't know what to do, Tom."

"Well..." He threw an arm across her shoulders and looked down at her. "I'm no agony aunt, Nina, but what I can say is that you can come and talk to old Thomas whenever, ok?"

"Thank you." Nina said quietly, turning Tom's half embrace into a hug. Tom's chin rested lightly atop Nina's chocolate coloured hair. "It's nice knowing there's someone who cares, you know."

"I do honestly care, Nina. I might have known you for four days or four years, it doesn't matter. All my friends mean the world to me and I don't like seeing them upset."

*****

Nina had managed to retrieve her notebook much to her relief, stuffing into her handbag, having been determined it would fit. Tom had on a nice black jacket and he sat at the table looking like a proper gentleman. His publicist, who's name Nina had yet to find out, sat opposite Nina who was seated beside Tom and feeling quite intimidated.

She sipped at her champagne as Tom talked to his publicist about some new superhero movie he was due to be a big part of. Nina flicked on her phone quickly, wondering if anyone was bothering to attempt to communicate with her, and sure enough there was another text from Molly; this time with a picture attached.

M: look at this photo of tom! bet you wish you could touch that hair xo

Attached was a picture of Tom dressed up in green as some regal, god-like figure. "If only you know, Mol..." Nina sighed, glancing up at Tom who was still deep in conversation.

N: Oh, I'm sure it would be lovely. Are we still on for tomorrow? xo
M: of course! bring a friend, the more the merrier i suppose xo

Nina glanced back up at Tom and saw that he was looking at her expectantly. She shut her phone off a little too enthusiastically, throwing it onto the floor at their feet before cursing softly under her breath before regaining her composure and forcing a soft smile at Tom. "Sorry, what did I miss?"

"We were just talking about your makeup skills, love. You do have quite a knack."

"Really?" Nina smiled a little more. Kyle rarely complimented her on her works, she thought. "Well, I suppose I'd have to be able to use makeup to have the honour of working on set with you."

"Ehehehe! It's my pleasure to work with someone like you, even if you did diss Shakira."

"Oh, hush, Thomas."

"Say my name again."

"What?"

"Just do it."

"Fine then... Thomas."

"It's just the way you pronounce it." He smiled widely, his eyes once again creasing up at the corners. "You really are quite funny sometimes, Nina."

"I'm glad you think so." One of Nina's eyebrows were raised as she sipped at her drink. "But I am a makeup artist, not a comedian." She remembered about her phone then and leaned down with what little grace she could muster. She almost bashed her head on the table, just narrowly avoiding disaster. Tom gave her an odd look as she resurfaced. "My phone went for a walk."

"Ah. It seems to do that a lot." He was still smiling.

His publicist cleared her throat. Nina still needed to ask her name but she didn't want to interrupt. "So how long have you known Nina, Tom? I've heard she was pulled on board last minute."

"Only since we started filming, but I guess we just..." Tom shrugged his shoulders. "Clicked, I suppose. It's nice to have someone on set to eat your lunch with." He laughed softly. Nina felt herself go a little redder once again.

"Are you-" The publicist started, but Nina butted in.

"I have a boyfriend. Kyle. He's in a band." Nina blurted.

"I was going to say are you busy tomorrow, Tom." She rolled her eyes.

"Oh, sorry, I've got plans. I'm meeting Nina's sister with her." Tom's smile didn't budge one bit despite his publicists seemingly negative mood. Nina just sighed and finished her champagne. This could be a long evening.

[A/N] slightly shorter i think! but i've been getting really bad writers block? this is why i generally plan out my fanfics but half of my notes generally are just more gobbledegook and make less sense than a drunk shakespeare. i can only imagine what that would be like. don't forget to drop a vote if you enjoyed...
yours truly :) x