(5) When You Can't Sleep At Night

Nina looked at the clock beside her bed. It was 1:30am. So that meant exactly... Thirty six hours until she left for Dartmoor. Thirty six hours until she was on the same set as some of the coolest people there was. Thirty six hours until she was away from Kyle, and she only hoped he wouldn't be too reckless whilst she was away. They didn't have much but she treasured what love they did have, and wondered if that was doing her any good.

She wandered through to the little kitchen and made herself some tea as quietly as she could. Camomile tea, of course. Nina wouldn't have it any other way. Her brain was too active to sleep since she'd been watching old TV shows and interviews with Tom Hiddleston, Benedict Cumberbatch and a few other actors that she'd been informed she'd be working with. It had also been implied that she'd be working closely with one actor in particular, and also a lot with the horses.

She'd also been sent a basic filming schedule with the promise of a physical copy waiting for her in her trailer - her own trailer! - and the first bits that they were filming were actually in Hampshire so there'd be a lot of travelling involved. The only details that she'd spilled to Molly, her mother and Kyle were that she was filming under the code name 'Dartmoor', she was a make up artist and costume assistant and she would try not to get lost.

The piano looked quite tempting but Nina knew what would happen if she woke Kyle up this early. So she just sat quietly on the settee in her pyjamas, drinking her tea and contemplating what on earth she'd pack.

Packing would be an interesting activity. If Nina could have it her way, she'd pack all of her clothes, her bed, her piano and her tea but that probably wouldn't work out, so she was going to try and limit herself to one suitcase of absolute essentials - unfortunately not the piano - and a backpack, obviously not forgetting her own make up tools although she'd been reassured all she needed was already on set.

She finished her tea, put the mug by the sink and sighed. There wasn't really much to do at two in the morning other than sleep, or fail to do so. Then Nina noticed that one of the cushions was out of place on the chair, so she spent at least fifteen minutes rearranging the lounge slightly; both her and Kyle absolute nightmares for moving things and then not putting them back where they were supposed to be.

Finally she slumped onto the settee again, sprawling on her back and suddenly losing the willpower to move. And that was where she fell asleep, spending about five hours curled up in odd positions before finally waking herself up by falling onto the floor. Kyle was nowhere to be seen, and his car keys were missing from where they originally were on the fireplace where Nina had put them, so she only assumed he'd gone to do some 'work'.

It took an hour for her to coax herself off of the rug and get washed and ready. First, she had some serious packing to do. Then she had to not forget to have lunch. And then it was time to shift herself down to the theatre for her last night working on the production running at the moment before the next day when she'd get a lift down to the train station, where she'd be met and driven down to the filming location. It all seemed quite hectic but Nina was determined to manage it.

Nina stood in the bathroom for a further ten minutes, poking at her hair, trying to get it to do something different. Something...exciting. But it as pretty much the same as it had always been; just straight, down to her shoulders, and with a basic fringe. Ah. That was it.

Nina picked up a few hair pins, wedging some of them in her mouth, and she pinned her fringe back, and decided to braid her hair to the side. There. That was a change. Maybe she'd change it up more in the future; dye it, cut it shorter, but for now she'd keep it the way it was. Considering she ended up working with hair on a daily basis, she wasn't very good with her own.

It was eleven o'clock before she deemed herself ready, and for another change she decided she'd go down and have brunch in a nearby coffee shop. It felt dangerous going without permission from Kyle but Nina felt a rush of rebellion as she grabbed a spare set of keys and her coat. Why should he boss her around? She wasn't thirteen anymore, and he wasn't her father.

She skipped over the puddles and walked into the little shop, the smell of fresh coffee and bacon hitting her instantly. As she was just about to walk over to the counter, she saw Kyle in the corner, but it wasn't that that shocked her, it was the fact that his face was about two inches away from Marie's. Nina swore under her breath and backed out of the shop without another word.

She instantly went to another cafe, her sweet tooth dominating her once again. She ordered a hot chocolate and a ham and cheese toastie, and sat in the corner, away from the few other customers, chewing thoughtfully on her food, her hands shaking slightly. What the hell had she just witnessed? Here was Kyle, worrying about her going out and going home with other lads...the hypocrite.

The longer she sat there, the more her mind backtracked. Maybe it wasn't Kyle? Maybe it wasn't Marie? And surely even if it was, it wasn't anything...romantic, right? Maybe they were just joking around? Nothing but that one moment hung around in her mind as she ate her brunch and wondered what - well, if - if she should say anything. After all, the bruise on her cheekbone still hurt.

[A/N] i'm really hoping tom will show up in the next chapter! no idea if he will, though. you should ask him. drop a vote if you feel nina's pain on not being asleep at 1:30am?
yours truly :) x