(41) I Don't Love You

"So where you headed, then?" Nina said, shivering in the chilly breeze that near enough froze off her fingers.

"I've just come back from your place, actually. Jackson's been wondering where Kyle was at since he hasn't been around for a few days." Jackson was Alexandra's brother and the drummer for Kyle's band, and therefore Alexandra was pretty up to date on the band news.

Nina frowned. "That's odd. Hasn't he been down the bar or anything?"

"Nah. Between us we've checked all his favourite haunts and there's no sign of him." Nina didn't know whether to be worried or pleased as she glanced at the apartment block in the distance.

"Well, we were on our way to his to pick up something I left there..." A lot of somethings, Nina thought to herself.

"Moving in with the new man, are we?" Alexandra wiggled her eyebrows suggestively at Tom who turned a lovely shade of red. Nina opened her mouth to say something but Alexandra leaned forward slightly, pressing a finger to Nina's lips. "It's okay! I won't tell anyone. I'm well good at secrets, promise. See you around!" And with a wave she had disappeared just as quickly as she had shown up.

"She seemed nice." Tom mused quietly, watching her go.

"If only there were more of her and less Kyle's, the world would be a better place." Nina huffed, folding her arms. "Lets...let's get this over and done with."

Her key was still buried in her coat pocket, untouched for many weeks, and she twisted it between her fingers, needing something to fiddle with, something else to concentrate on. Tom walked silently beside her, and she could practically feel the calm radiating off of him.

Then she stopped suddenly, looking up at a building looming over them. Tom almost walked into the back of Nina but stopped just in time, snapped out of his thoughts as he followed Nina's eyes to the window she was focusing on, noticing that her jaw had gone a little slack.

A scantily-dressed blonde had just leaned out of the window, her blonde hair curled to perfection. She looked around for a moment and went to lean back in, but she caught sight of Nina and Tom and her mouth twisted into a somewhat evil grin.

She waved at Nina, blew a kiss and winked to Tom and then leaned back in, closing the window and shutting the blinds, her silhouette still vaguely visible. Tom said nothing, and alarmingly enough, neither did Nina. Silence meant she was probably planning something.

Then with a sudden burst of speed she was off, running towards the entrance of the apartment, fists clenched. Tom strode after her. "Nina! Nina, wait!"

He chased her up the stairs and caught her as she slowed to fumble the key into the lock. "Marie... Marie..." She muttered over and over, unlocking the door and slamming her shoulder into it to get it to open on it's stiff hinges.

The first room they came into smelt, and was littered with...litter. Pizza boxes were scattered across the coffee table, beer bottles lined the fireplace and sweet wrappers were all over the once clean carpet.

A floral, fruity smell hung about the air and Nina was pretty sure it wasn't something Kyle would wear, even if he had let himself go a bit. And the piano was still in it's place, looking as stunning as ever, shining under a thin coat of dust.

To Nina's horror, there was a small 'Sold' written on the side of it on black marker pen that would probably stay there for a very long time. Her fingers brushed over it lightly, a wave of nostalgia hitting her.

"Beautiful." Tom said quietly, running his hand across the light, dusty wood.

"My ex, or that piece of crap? Not that there's much difference." A voice cackled from somewhere at the other end of the room.

"I'm not here for the piano, Kyle." Nina gulped, turning to face him. His hair was a mess. His nose ring wasn't in. He was wearing crumpled clothes, he smelt and he generally looked quite hungover as he leant in the doorway that led to the room they once shared.

"Then what are you here for?"

"We came to collect Nina's belongings. She's going to move in with me." Tom said coolly, taking a step forward, his posture intimidating. Nina swore she saw Kyle shrink down a bit.

"Moving in with you? I never said she could go anywhere." He smirked, and a pair of arms appeared around his waist, long red fingernails resting almost tauntingly against his stomach.

"You're not the boss of me, Kyle." Nina said with a shaky voice. "Now let me get my stuff, and I'll be out of your way. For good."

"Your stuff is where it was. Right through here." He pushed Marie off of him quite sharply, and stepped to the side of the doorway. Nina glanced at Tom for reassurance, and he nodded before she headed over to the other side of the room, to where Kyle waited.

Of course he was up to something. His hand grabbed her wrist tightly as she went past him and he twisted her so that she was facing him. Nina winced as the back of her head made quick contact with the doorframe, but in an instant Tom was over with them, grabbing Kyle by the collar of his shirt and pinning him against the other side of the doorframe.

"Nina..." Tom said lowly, dangerously, his eyes cast down to the floor just to the right of Kyle's feet. "Get your things, and let's leave."

Nina nodded, remembering where there was a duffel bag in the room, and she shoved in as many of her clothes, books, CD's, anything that would fit. As she looked up in disgust at Marie, she realised that hanging off of Marie's stick thin frame was her favourite Iron Maiden shirt.

"I'll be taking that too, thanks." Nina grimaced slightly, holding out her hand expectantly. Marie shrugged and pulled it off slowly, making a quick glance at the two men just across from her as she stood in just her underwear. Nina caught the shirt between her thumb and index finger, shuddering as she shoved it into the bag and zipped it up.

"Is that all you want, then?" Kyle said, letting out a gasp as Tom let him drop back down onto his own two feet.

"It's all I need." Nina went to swing the bag over her shoulder but jumped as Tom intercepted the motion and slung it over her own shoulder with admirable ease.

"Have fun with her then, Tom. Yes, I know who you are." Kyle sneered as they went to leave. "She's all yours."

Tom turned around for a moment, his blue eyes focusing on Kyle in a hard glare. "Good."

[A/N] did you enjoy this chapter? *intense tom stare* good. drop a vote if you did and i hope you continue to enjoy this story!
yours truly :) x