Chapter 2: Mates

Aelin

Aelin was chucking a fork at her mate's face when Aedion came running into the dining room of the royal palace in Rifthold where they were eating dinner. Guards instantly were following after him, weapons drawn, as Aedion's eyes only scanned the room and landed on Aelin. Relief washed over his face, but quickly was replaced by something much darker.

The guards took a step towards Aedion but Dorian was already saying, "Stand down, he's a Lord of Terrasen." The guards did put their weapons away, before making quick bows and rushing out of the room.

"Ok so just to get this out of the way," Aedion said immediately, before they could question when and how he got here. His Ashryver eyes fell on Aelin again and he asked, "Fenrys isn't dead, right?"

At this Aelin immediately got to her feet, as did Rowan, Dorian, and the Westfalls.

"And why would he be dead?" Aelin said, her voice turning into a growl. They would've been back in Orynth within four days to begin with. But if Aedion was here now, then something must've gone terribly wrong.

"Well that's....something," Aedion muttered, before gathering himself and saying, "So we think Fenrys has been kidnapped." Aelin's heart stopped.

"I'm sorry, what?" Chaol asked, from his seat beside his wife, who was now heavily pregnant with their second child.

"Ok so remember how Fenrys usually goes on a run each morning," Aedion said slowly.

"Yes...." Aelin trailed, not liking where this was going.

"Ok so he didn't return." Everyone froze. "So Lysandra went looking and found three dead witches, armed to the bone with weapons. And so Lysandra got me over, I confirmed that Fenrys's scent was indeed there. Including some of his blood. Not much, especially in comparison to the witches, but it was his." Aelin's heart pounded, and she felt Rowan's hand drift to hers. "So this would've been around lunch time, and then we spent the next few hours asking around and going into the city to see if anyone has seen him. And the answer was no. And then I made a Wyrdmark portal here, because I'm pretty sure that you would've killed us if we didn't tell you to right away."

Aelin would've killed them if they hadn't found a way to tell them right away. And even though they agreed to use the Wyrdmarks as portals in emergencies only. As having a portal go wrong could have detrimental effects, Aelin would consider this an emergency.

"Does Elide and Lorcan know?" Rowan asked, him gripping Aelin's hand cause she honestly felt like she either wanted to scream or stab something. 

After everything that Fenrys had been through.....he could take torture that much at least. Wyrd knows what he might have endured at the hands of Maeve. But everyone knew that there were certain things that were very...triggering for him. For them both of them actually. Mostly because of those two months of hell that they went through. And if they were to figure out what one of things were....Aelin really didn't want to know what might happen.

"Lysandra went to them and I went here," Aedion said. "And so it's only been a couple of hours, so theoretically speaking they shouldn't be far. And Lysandra nor I could identify those three witches, but....."

"Manon isn't here," Dorian answered, seeing where this was going. "She was supposed to be Orynth in five days anyway so she might be able to recognize them."

"That's what we're thinking," Aedion said. "So do you guys want to come back or......"

"Yes," Aelin said immediately, already getting up from his seat, Rowan following suit. "Well this has been all great and fun," Aelin said, clapping her hands and looking at the more than concerned King and Westfalls.