Chapter 27: I'm sorry Fenrys

I like have to stop with these long chapters

4000+ words again

This time in less than a weekkk

Fair warning though, there may be more grammar/spelling mistakes than normal, just because I get sad when I read this (even tho I wrote it) and don't like rereading it

And with that, enjoy :)

Fenrys

"I-I should read it, right?" Fenrys stammered, his hands trembling.

He had seen Maeve's handwriting enough to recognize it in an instant, and this--

Fucking this.

"Y-you don't have to," Nia said quickly, trying to steady him. "You can throw it in the trash, or-or we can just wait till Orynth and have some you trust to read."

"I should read it," Fenrys said, not sure if he was saying it like a fact or a question at this point.

"You don't have to."

"So I shouldn't?"

"Stop asking ME," Nia said, freaking out as much as he was.

"Well then who am I supposed to ask? Myself? I thought that it was already established that I lie to myself on a daily basis."

Nia tried, "What's the worst that can happen?"

Fenrys weighed his options, then said, "A lot."

"So don't," Nia said, taking a step closer to him.

"But what if it's important."

"Well you've gone 4 years without reading it, so it can't be that important."

"Maybe it's just a really old letter that Maeve sent to Connall years ago."

"But it's written to you."

"Well then a really old letter that Maeve sent to me years ago, that I just never saw."

"But it was in Connall's room."

"The housemaid can't read the Old Language, so maybe she just got it who it was directed to mess up."

"So read it," Nia said, and although it was probably a question, Fenrys decided to take it as a statement.

Fenrys took a shuddering breath and then opened the letter.

Nia stood an inch away and as he took out the piece of paper, Fenrys immediately noticed that the entire letter was written in the Old Language and that it was in fact, written by Maeve.

Especially because of how it started.

To my darling Fenrys.

Fenrys's breaths became few as he translated the words down the bond.

Nia's hand slid to his and their fingers interlaced.

"You still don't have to read it," Nia said.

"Eh," Fenrys said. "We made it this far."

This is why he should never give advice to children.

Although he had a very bad feeling about this.

The letter said, If you're reading this then you somehow managed to evade my troops and have survived, or are in some other predicament. Regardless, the chances of you ever reading this are slim as I doubt you would return here in the near future since you are the last resident of this household, nor do I believe you are stupid enough to use this home as an sanctuary trying to escape from me.