We'll Come Back

"Good job, Y/N!" Rengoku applauded. You stopped and put your sword back into your scabbard. Turning to him, you bowed and thanked him. "You're really powerful, Rengoku-sensei!" He waved one of his hands. "You don't need formalities with me. You can give me a cute nickname, too!"

Despite being 12 years old, you still enjoyed life like a child. "Alright... Reng-chan." You waved and sped off. Rengoku crossed his arms. "She'll make an amazing demon slayer."

You got back, but didn't hear Tanjiro in the house. Your eyes slightly widened. "Urokodaki-sensei!" You ran inside and saw Urokodaki standing inside. "Is Tanjiro cutting the boulder?" He nodded and allowed you to go check on him.

You jumped into a tree and jumped from branch to branch so you wouldn't disturb Tanjiro. Once you got to the nostalgic clearing in the forest, you saw Tanjiro aggressively slicing at the boulder. He stopped and fell to the ground. You were about to jump out of the tree, but Tanjiro's head suddenly shot up.

He seemed to be talking to someone, but there was no one there. You shut your eyes and listened to what he was saying.

"But your sword is made of wood!"

Your eyes widened. "Wood...?" The tree you were standing on shook a bit. Tanjiro looked like he was fighting air, but you knew the movements he was dodging all too well. "Onii-chan...?"

Over the course of the next few months, Tanjiro seemed to be improving his unnecessary moves and habits, which didn't make sense to you. Nobody was teaching him as far as you were concerned.

One day... "What is he doing?" You muttered to yourself. You felt a tap on your shoulder and jumped to a different branch. On the ground, Tanjiro had stopped fighting the air and was swinging his sword.

You looked around the tree you were in and your eyes stopped on one branch. Your vision blurred for a moment and you made out the silhouette of a boy. Once your vision cleared, you nearly fell out of the tree. "Onii-chan?"

You teared up and put your hand over your mouth. He moved to the branch you were sitting on and put his arm around you. "Hey Y/N..." You leaned into him, your eyes still wide with shock. "Y/N... I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't keep my promise." You rested your head in his chest. "No... it's fine.. it's not something you can control. I just... wish I could've said goodbye."

Sabito rested his chin on your head. "Y/N... I have to go." You gripped onto him, but then let go. "Alright..." In the blink of an eye, Sabito was gone. You jumped out of the tree and swiftly made your way back to Urokodaki's house.

"Oh, hey Tanjiro!" You greeted cheerfully when Tanjiro came back. He was tired and panting, while you looked like you had just come home. "Hey, Y/N. Who'd you train with today?" You opened the door and went inside with Tanjiro following. "Rengoku."

Tanjiro tilted his head as if to say, "Who's that?" but didn't ask. You opened the door to the backroom and saw that Nezuko was still sleeping. Looking at Tanjiro, you shook your head and sat across from him. "Urokodaki-sensei is out doing errands, so we'll be having dinner by ourselves tonight."

"Y/N, you have a nickname for people who seem to be of high authority. What about Urokodaki-sensei?" You looked up at Tanjiro and sighed. "Before Gi-chan and my brother went to the Final Selection, I used to call him 'Papa'. I guess... I grew out of it."

Tanjiro nodded and took a bite from his food. You heard something from the back room and thought that Nezuko was awake, only to see that it was just a bug. "What was it?" Tanjiro asked. You opened the door and let the bug out. "It was just a bug."

"You heard the bug?" You looked over at Tanjiro, who had little sparkles in his eyes. You smiled and touched your ear. "It's not anything special. I just hear a lot more than the average person, just like how you can smell more." You could hear Tanjiro's heart pounding of excitement from across the room.