The Next Mission

"Kanao!" You called. She turned and met eyes with you. "Oh, Y/N." You sat next to her. "I'm going on the mission tonight, so this'll be the last time I see you. For a while at least."

She looked at the ground with a disappointed expression. "Yeah... I wish I could go with you." You chuckled. "To be honest, I think I was assigned to it just to keep those three out of trouble. Muichi-kun said so at least."

Kanao sighed. "I still don't understand how you can speak so casually about the Hashira." You looked at your folded hands. "Well... they're basically family..." She smiled. "Yeah... the family I never had."

You nodded. "And you're like my sister!" She hummed in agreement. "I agree." The two of you giggled and looked straightforward. "I  remember the first time I met you."

Kanao shut her eyes. "I was rather curious. When I flipped the coin, I guess I secretly wanted to have it make me talk to you. When it didn't... I guess I went to talk to you anyways." You brought one of your knees to your chest. "I'm glad you did."

You heard Tanjiro coming over and stood up. "Anyways, I'm going to say bye to the girls and Aoi. See you!" The two of you waved at each other as you walked away.

"Hey Aoi." She turned from the sheets she was hanging. "Ah, you're going to get going now?" You nodded. "I wish I could've stayed longer." Aoi stared at the sheets she was hanging. "I would love to come with you... but I just can't face the reality of battle. Getting scared to be slaughtered every second was too much for me. I'm a coward."

She felt a hand on her shoulder and she turned around. "Being a demon slayer isn't only about killing some demons and having good swordsmanship." Her eyes widened a bit. "It's about being able to help when you need to. And I think you're doing great!"

After a few moments of silence, you let go of her shoulder and turned away. "You aren't a coward, and I never thought of you as one. You're strong inside and out. Just realize it!" You walked off as Aoi stared at you in disbelief.

"Sumi! Kiyo! Naho!" The three girls looked at you. "Y/N!" They ran towards you and trapped  you in a hug. "We're going to miss you!" You put your hand on each of their heads. "Me too... but I'll see you again. Just like what I said last time!"

"Can you hang out with us just a little more?" You nodded. "Of course!" The girls took you by the hands and brought you into the Butterfly Mansion.

Before turning a corner, you heard heavy footsteps. "Hold on, girls." You walked towards them and saw Genya coming towards you. Tanjiro was also in the hallway, but Genya walked right passed him, or rather into him.

"Genya!" He looked at you. You smiled. "I saw you before, but I never noticed that your body is built better! Look at those muscles!" You put your hand on his arm and gently squished.

"Have you been training with Shinazugawa-san?" He shook his head. "So you did this by yourself?! Wow..." He looked away from you, but only with his eyes. "You just think I'm muscly because you're scrawny."

You made an offended noise and gently slapped him. "I'm the one who gave you rice balls and this is how you repay me?!" He smiled, just barely and walked away. "See you around, Y/N."

Tanjiro walked towards you. "Who's that?" "That's Shinazugawa-san's brother, Genya. I met him a little before the Final Selection." Tanjiro nodded. "You seem to know a lot of people." You hummed.

"What about Kanao? She seems to only talk to you." You nodded. "She's only comfortable around certain people. I guess I'm one of them." Tanjiro looked at the mansion. "You seem to be very well-liked there." You put your hand behind your head with a fake cocky expression. "Obviously!"