Grief

It was a sunny morning. Ray of sunlight stroke through the window in Jean's room. He was awaken by the heat of the sun touching his face. He saw a lady standing in the room, preparing food. He moved a little. Pieck heard his little movements and saw that he is awake.

"Jean, you're finally awake." Pieck approached and sat on his bedside.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

"There's pain everywhere." Jean said grunting.

"You were badly wounded. You just have to rest to recover." Pieck said smiling.

She is deeply delighted to see Jean awake. She had been looking after him in the Marley hospital for the last three days.

"Pieck, I couldn't remember what happened. All I remember is that I was talking to Connie, accepting our fate that we'll be turned into a titan." Jean is holding his head as if trying to remember what else happened.

"You turned into a titan Jean. Everyone who inhaled the smoke from that centipede looking thing turned into a titan." Pieck said.

"How am I still alive now? How did I turn into human again? Did I eat a shifting titan?" Jean was still puzzled.

Pieck explained that everyone who turned into a titan returned back to being human after Mikasa cut-off Eren's head. Even the shifting titans lost their power and could no longer go back to being a titan.

"I slashed my palm with a knife but I did not turn into a titan. Reiner, Armin, Annie and Falco couldn't turn into Titan as well." Pieck said showing off the bandage on her palm.

Jean still seemed confused with what he just found out now.

"Does this mean that the power of the titans are gone for good?" He asked.

"I hope so. Perhaps that's Eren's goal all along. For the power of the titans to be gone in this world. Perhaps that's why he died." Pieck said.

"It could be. He died intentionally so that no one would inherit the founding titan anymore." Jean sadly uttered.

"Whatever it is. We should be thankful for Eren. The curse of the titans is finally gone. We are free, Jean." Pieck sighed.

They were both silent for few moments. Both of them contemplated on what will life be after the power of the titans had finally left the world. Jean was still thinking what will happen to Paradis. He's afraid that the world will turn against them once again. On the other hand, Pieck was watching Jean intently. She can't help but imagine Jean's body under those covers. His arms were strong. She remembered how he carried her before the bones of Eren's titan exploded. His chest and abs were as hard as rock. She remembered feeling them when his body was pressed against hers.

"Pieck, where's Mikasa and Armin? And also Connie?" Pieck came back to her senses. She felt a pinch in her chest when she realized that Jean is looking for Mikasa.

"She's...." Pieck paused for a while. Unable to answer Jean because the feeling in her chest has not subsided. She looked at Jean again in the eye. She knew he is waiting for an answer.

"She had few broken bones. She's being treated here too." She answered, giving a fake smile.

"She's hurt? But you told me, she cut-off Eren's head?" Jean sounded worried.

"Yes. She did. But when Eren died, his titan crumbled on the ground. She didn't manage to use her ODM gear she fell and broke her bones." Jean's face grew pale. His eyes showed how worried he is. Pieck saw Jean's reaction. She felt that heaviness in her chest again. But she tried to compose herself and acted as if Jean's reactions does not affect her.

"I can take you to her. She spends all day in the garden." Pieck said.

It was not easy for Jean to stand. He is in a lot of pain. Pieck helped him get into the wheelchair. 

"Wrap your arms around my neck." Pieck ordered Jean. He hesistated and did not want to do it. 

"You're so small. The two of us might fall." Jean said as if he's teasing her. "Don't worry. I'm still strong even if I'm no longer a titan." Pieck said.

Jean did what he was told. Pieck struggled in carrying some of his body weight. She realized her tremendous strength is gone. She's now a normal human. She could feel his body pressed against hers. She even intentionally touched his abs to make sure it's still there. She remembered seeing his chiseled abs and how it seemed to be calling her to touch it. "What am I thinking?" She thought laughing at herself. Good thing Jean did not notice what she did. Or probably, he just let her touch him, or he could be in so much pain that it did not matter to him.

She pushed the wheelchair in the garden until they found Mikasa sitting alone in a bench. Her arm had a cast. She had a crutch beside her for her leg was broken as well. She grabbed her crutch as soon as she saw Jean, attempting to stand up and walk just to greet him.

"Mikasa, no need to stand. Just stay there." Jean said.

Pieck placed Jean's wheelchair beside the bench where Mikasa is seated. As soon as Jean was beside her, she cried. She leaned on his chest and violently cried. Her wails surrounded the garden. Jean placed his hand on her head and his other arm on his back. He just let her cry.

Pieck couldn't take the sight. She left them alone. "Oh dear, be considerate. She's in a lot of pain. Jean is one of the closest person to her who would understand. She's probably been holding into her pain for a long time."

Jean's hospital gown is wet with Mikasa's tears. When she calmed down, she remained quiet.

"Mikasa. No one could have done what you did. You saved us all." Mikasa remained silent.

"Eren saved us all. From the beginning he wanted to drive out all the titans on this world. He did it because he wanted us to live a peaceful life. He wanted for us to be free—free from titans." Jean said.

"But why? Why did he had to cause the rumbling? If he just wanted to die without passing the founding titan, we could have just hid for 4 years, lived together  until he dies." Mikasa said bitterly weeping.

"We don't know. Maybe he has a compelling reason. Maybe causing the rumbling is the only way to remove the curse of the titans." Jean said sorrowful that Eren had to do things maybe beyond his will. But Eren knew it's the only way.

Jean tried to comfort Mikasa and stayed with her all day until evening. There were times that they just remained quiet. There were times Jean would tease Mikasa so that she would smile. Jean was aware that this is the only thing she could do for her. To just be there for her. He knew that nothing could ease the pain of losing Eren. 

Jean looked for Pieck. He asked several nurses if they had seen her. But nobody noticed where she went. He's dismayed not to see her when he went back to his room. He looks forward to be with her again. What happened between them in the abandoned cabin in the middle of the woods is still fresh in his memory. It kept playing in his head. This made him yearn for her.