Engagement

"Goodness! I missed you. I thought I was going crazy not being able to see you for months. But your letters kept my sanity." Annie hurled herself to Armin as soon as the other officials left the room.

Armin gently held her and gave her an eye signal telling that Jean, Reiner and Pieck are present in the room. She instantly understood and moved away from him.

"You surely missed each other, that's understandable." Jean elbowed Armin, teasingly, although he himself couldn't wait to be alone with Pieck.

"Where's Mikasa?" Pieck asked curiously.

"She retired from the military." Armin said. "She's expecting you all. She's inviting us for lunch. We should head there. She's probably waiting." Armin continued.

"She's expecting them? How come I didn't even know that they are coming here?" Jean is furious since Armin didn't give him that information.

"I'm sorry General Kirstein, didn't your assistant tell you about this?" Armin said being formal to Jean.

"Didn't your assistant tell you that they would be living in your house while we are planning for our operation?" Armin is frustrated that his message didn't get through him. "Your mother wouldn't mind right?" He added, hoping that he would give a positive answer.

"Of course. I don't mind at all. I'll finally have a drinking buddy." Jean said as he placed his arms on Reiner's shoulder. "Best news for the day. No, for a lifetime." He thought, realizing that Pieck would be living with him. He only dreamt of this day and now it's happening.

"Don't worry. I'd be staying in Mikasa's house. She needs me." Annie said.

"Why not stay with the prime minister since you miss him terribly?" Jean asked sarcastically.

"Jean," Annie moved towards Jean and threw him an indignant look, "I have a lifetime to live in the prime minister's house. I don't need to rush." She snapped.

_________

Mikasa greeted them as soon as they entered the house. She's wearing a floral sundress that gave her a vibrant look rather than gloomy. Annie hugged Mikasa excitedly. "Well, you look pretty on that dress." Annie complemented Mikasa.

"Thanks. You look good yourself." Mikasa said smiling.

Connie who was invited by Mikasa, whispered to Jean, "What happened to Annie? Why is she all bubbly."

"I don't know. Maybe Armin gave her a potion or something." Jean said jokingly.

Armin heard their murmuring and gave them a formidable look. 

They headed to the garden where Mikasa prepared a beautiful spread for their luncheon. There were lobsters, beef, lamb and turkey. Mikasa even prepared a sitting arrangement. She placed a card with the name of everyone on each plate. Pieck is seated beside Reiner in front of Jean while Jean is seated in between Connie and Mikasa. Armin, being the prime minister sits at the head of the dinning table and Annie is seated on his right side.

"You cooked all these?" Pieck is in awe.

"Not all, the servants helped me with everything." Mikasa said. "Oh, except the beef. I cooked it myself." She said as she sat.

Mikasa sliced the beef and placed some in Jean's plate. Jean was silent, as he felt a little awkward as others see Mikasa serving him food.