Chapter 16

Ash was flying over Melemele Island aboard Charizard with Pikachu. His eyes were bloodshot and poofy from all the tears he shed. His vision was blurred from tears, his throat hurt and his cheeks were bright red. Ash had come to Alola to watch the League and defend his position as Champion. Pikachu who was on his shoulder was trying to comfort his trainer in any way possible. He tried singing, dancing and telling jokes, but all of his efforts were useless. Eventually Ash landed outside of the Kukui's residence on the beach. He got off of Charizard and returned him, then he walked onto the patio and knocked on the door. After a few seconds Professor Burnet opened the door and gasped.

"Ash, what are you doing here?" She asked.

"To watch the League and defend my position as Champion." Ash responded in a shaky voice.

Burnet nodded and let him in. Ash was very quickly greeted by his Pokemon and Kukui.

"Where's Lei?" Ash asked shakily.

"Pokemon School." Kukui responded.

"Why are your eyes so red?" Burnet asked. "Your cheeks are bright red too."

"They are?" Ash asked. "Oh."

Ash looked down and rubbed his face.

"Where is Serena?" Kukui asked.

Ash felt his heart in immense pain again.

"I-i..." Ash stuttered.

Burnet and Kukui understood instantly and brought him into a hug.

"I am so sorry Ash." Burnet said.

"You can tell us everything." Kukui added.

Ash backed away from the hug and rubbed his eyes.

"I might just go for a walk." He said. "I need time to think. Today has been a little to much for me."

The Professors reluctantly nodded.

"Be safe." Kukui said.

"We will send Rowlet out to find you when it is dinner time." Burnet added.

Ash nodded and picked up Pikachu.

"Come on buddy." He said. "Lets go to the Valley."

Pikachu nodded and climbed onto Ash's shoulder.

*************

At the Valley

Ash was sitting in a field of flowers crying. Pikachu was yet again trying to calm him down but to no avail.

"Tell me Pikachu." Ash said. "Was I not good enough? Was I too weak? Did I do something to make her not like me?"

"No Ash." Pikachu said. "You were perfect in that relationship. I myself am confused on why she did that, but part of me says she really meant it when she said sorry. I have never seen a happier person when you came back to her. She would not just give it up like that. I think something in her brain made her do it. Calem resembles you in a way, so her reaction would be to kiss. But thats just a theory, a love theory."

Ash looked up at the sky and sighed.

"But she knew dang well that was not me." He said. "Why does love hurt so much?"

Pikachu sighed and jumped on his friend's head.

"I dont know why Ash." Pikachu responded. "It just does. Let me put it like this. How do you think Serena felt when you ran off for a month?"

"Sad and angry." Ash responded.

"Exactly." Pikachu said. "She felt betrayed, broken and scared. All of that is because you were not with her. She loved you. That is why she felt all of that. Love works in ways no being can understand sometimes. As of now I am missing Sylveon and my kid. All of that is because I love them. You are allowed to feel angry, sad and betrayed, but do not let it get in the way of life. Destiny will still arrive, all the same."