Chapter 3

Olivia stood and walked over to the Ravenclaw table. A few people clapped, but most barely noticed. A girl with wavy brown hair and dark eyes rushed over to her.

"Hello Olivia, I'm Phebe Strix. I keep Ravenclaw running. I'll be sorting out the first years, but I'll give you a tour of our dormitories later. Just stay with the group and you'll be fine." she promised, patting her on the shoulder before hurrying over to a group of first-years who were bickering at the other end of the table.

Phebe held to her promise. After dinner, she found Olivia, who was sitting in the common room, staring around in awe.

"Like the dormitories?" she asked.

Olivia nodded. "They're magnificent."

"Yes, well. Ravenclaw is the best house. Not that the others aren't good, we just have a little something extra," Phebe smiled to herself. "So, what brings you to Hogwarts?"

"I was supposed to come here a couple of years back, but I fell into a coma. I woke up not long ago," Olivia explained.

"Sorry to hear that. Well then, welcome to Ravenclaw. Don't worry, we're not all insufferable swots. Some of us actually like to have fun," she winked.

"Flitwick is responsible for us, but he doesn't really do much. We're pretty much left to do whatever we want. No one ever does anything interesting, though. If you even lift a finger in the wrong direction, someone will be telling a professor."

Throughout her tour, Phebe continued explaining the ins and outs of Ravenclaw.

"For a while now, the Ravenclaws have always chosen an unofficial leader who takes care of everything. I suppose I fell into the position by accident. You see, my predecessor liked me and always gave me little things to do. When he left two years ago, I took over."

"Why don't they have the head girl or boy do it. Or the prefects?" Olivia inquired.

Phebe laughed. "The head girl and boy are never from Ravenclaw. Dumbledore much prefers Gryffindors. The prefects are either spoiled little brats who don't do anything, or they are constantly too busy to help out with mundane tasks."

Olivia was about to ask a question, but Phebe beat her to it.

"I'm not a prefect. Clearwater took that title. Her father is all friendly with Dumbledore and the ministry. Really only uses the title to use the prefect's bathroom and for the bragging rights."

Phebe pointed to a wraith-like blonde in the corner. She seemed to have been reading a bright pink romance novel but was currently glaring at Phebe.

Phebe's eyes narrowed imperceptibly before she turned back to Olivia.

"That concludes the tour. It would take a while for me to show you the whole school so I'll give you a map. Just be aware, the stairs move and the portraits gossip. I have to go check on the first years. I swear, at least two get homesick the first night," she sighed.

"You'll be rooming with Cho, Marietta, and Naomy. You'll be the only fifth year in the room, but since you missed a couple of years, you have a few classes with the fourth-years so I think this arrangement will be helpful. Your trunk should be in there along with your Ravenclaw things and schedule. Good luck," she said, already walking in the direction of the first-year dorms.

"Thank you, Phebe. I hope I make an okay Ravenclaw," Olivia tried to smile, but her body was exhausted and her composure was fading.

"I'm sure you will. Just find something you're good at and someone to teach you," Phebe called back before disappearing behind a corner.

Taking a deep breath, Olivia opened her door and stepped inside her room. It smelled faintly of oak and parchment, but that was overwhelmed by the floral scent of girl's perfume.

The floor and walls were done in dark brown mahogany wood that matched the wood of the bed frames. There were five canopy beds in the room, three of which were clearly claimed. Blue velvet curtains were everywhere.

The room was pretty, but as Olivia glanced around, it started to become a little blurry around the edges. She winced at the sharp pain in her temples and put her palm to her forehead, taking a few steps forward and practically tripping over her feet.

Olivia stumbled further into the room feeling her headache, which had continued to worsen throughout the day, grow unbearable. She felt dizzy and disoriented. As if from far away, she heard concerned voices.

"Are you alright?"

"Must be our new dormmate"

"Oh dear, I think she's going to faint"

"Oof"

Three sets of hands caught her before she collapsed.

"Bloody hell, she looks terrible."

"Shush, Naomy. She might hear you."

"D'you think she's drunk? I don't want an alcoholic as a dormmate, Cho."

"No, trust me, no one acts like that when they're plastered. She must be sick."

"The poor thing. Let's get her to the hospital wing, eh?"

Olivia barely registered her surroundings as she was carried somewhere. At some point, she blacked out completely.

---

Olivia moaned and clapped her hands to her head.

"Look, she's awake!" a voice shrieked. They were immediately shushed.

Olivia's eyes fluttered open, then she immediately shut them with a groan as the light hit her eyes. It didn't matter that it was just candlelight. It still seared into her skull, feeding the flames of her headache. It reminded her of when she had woken from her coma. She would never get used to the feeling of waking up, it seemed.

"What happened?" she croaked.

An older woman with greying hair and lips pressed together in a tight line spoke, "You fainted, dear. I'm Madam Pomfrey. Unfortunately, I couldn't give you anything without knowing the cause. Any idea why it happened?"

Olivia sighed, letting her head drop back onto the pillow. "I woke up from a coma a few months ago. Been having headaches ever since. They've gotten worse recently."

"Hmm," the woman hummed, holding a magical monocle to her eye. Olivia fidgeted under the scrutiny.

Finally satisfied, the matron stood pin straight. "Your mind is not fully rooted to your body. You are in a perpetual state of half-death. It is a miracle that you have woken at all."

She pulled out a vial of metallic green liquid, poured a few drops into a glass of water, and handed it to Olivia. "This is a Soul-Binder Potion," Madam Pomfrey said crisply.

She waited until Olivia drank it before continuing her explanation.

"It is most often used on those who find themselves trapped in dreams. It will keep you bound to this body and alive, but it is not permanent. You must use it whenever you begin to feel your headaches return. Once you run out, you will have to come to me for another bottle."

Madam Pomfrey corked the bottle and handed it to Olivia, who thanked her gratefully and set it gently on the table beside her.

Olivia felt the effects almost immediately. Light and energy spilled through her limbs and the fog lifted from her mind. She smiled, rolling her shoulders back.

"Well, dear, it isn't exactly a cure. I'll try to work on something more permanent but I can't make any promises. In the meantime, work on your strength. Your body is weak. Heaven knows I don't want to stitch you back together after you take a tumble down those wretched stairs. Out on the grounds, there is a hill. I recommend you practice walking, then running up it repeatedly to get your strength back," she dictated, motioning to Olivia's frail limbs with her hand. She nodded, mentally reminding herself to follow Pomfrey's advice.

A giggle came from the corner, drawing Olivia's attention. Three girls waved back at her.