Chapter 38

"Play for me."

Olivia sat upon a bale of hay in the barn. The rain still echoed outside, but here, she and Fred were sheltered from it. The sound of water pitter-pattering on the roof still echoed through the space, creating an almost magical atmosphere.

Fred's eyes twinkled like stars and his mouth crooked up into a smile as his fingers began to strum the guitar. The notes came gentle at first, then became stronger, passionate. Olivia watched, mesmerized, as Fred played a familiar melody.

"Is that-" Olivia began to ask, but Fred understood and nodded as he continued to play the song. It wasn't just any song, it was the one that had played when he'd dance with her at their 'Yule Ball'.

Now that she took a closer look, even the guitar was familiar. It was the same one that had played the song before, only this time, it wasn't enchanted. Olivia blinked rapidly, holding back the happy tears that threatened to fall.

She waited patiently until he finished, then said into the silence, "You're quite... romantic, you know that?"

"Hmm. In a good way?" Fred smiled up at her from under his lashes, the expression so comical it was impossible not to smile.

Olivia laughed and wiped a runaway tear from her eye. "Yes, of course in a good way."

Fred smiled and looked back down to his guitar where his fingers hovered over the chords. "Shall I play another one?"

Olivia nodded. "Please."

-

On one chilly night, Olivia was tucked into the covers in Percy's room, on the very brink of sleep, when she heard her door open.

"You awake," came a whisper. It was Fred, who couldn't sleep. He hadn't really been able to since she gave him the news.

"No," Olivia hissed, "Go away." She was barely awake and very cranky, wanting nothing more than to sleep in peace.

"Can I stay with you? Pleeaase?" he begged, voice high and child-like.

"Ugggh. Let me sleep," Olivia groaned, now thoroughly annoyed. Fred moved closer and somehow managed to squeeze himself onto the tiny bed beside her, ignoring her many protests.

"Hey! What are you-" Olivia groaned again, "Merlin, you're impossible." Fred was silent, already falling asleep. "Well, looks like you'll be here for the night. There's no way I'm strong enough to get you out of here."

Olivia sighed as she watched him, the scene reminding of another time, one in a hospital bed after the Yule Ball. She still couldn't believe they'd managed to fit on that tiny cot. She layed back down and let her mind wander. To Olivia's surprise, she fell asleep quickly, drifting off into a deep, comfortable slumber.

-

Olivia spent the rest of her Summer in a blissful whirlwind with Fred. He showed her his home, where he grew up, the pond where he played as a child. They went swimming in the pond and had picnics in the meadows. But the Summer wasn't eternal, and soon, the reality of what was to come set in.

"Do you think we're safe?" Olivia asked. She was in Fred's arms, stargazing in the middle of the whispering wheat. She felt him shift underneath her as if the question made him uncomfortable.

"You're never safe with me," he joked, deflecting the question with humor. Olivia let him, knowing her silence would pull the truth out of him. Fred gave a long sigh.

"If you don't know, how should I? I- I don't know what will happen. But whatever comes, I won't let anyone touch you, Olivia. Okay?" His voice was strong, unwavering. So sure that he could keep her safe. But Olivia wasn't so sure herself.

"Okay," she answered, the little white lie souring on her tongue. She thought for a moment. "Are you ready for another year of school? Our last one?"

"Honestly?" Fred hesitated. "I don't really want to continue my education. It just... seems so pointless. I mean, I understand why it would work for someone- like you- but me? I just don't think that's the way I want to go." His voice was honest, but careful as if he was scared to see how she'd react.

Olivia only smiled to herself. "I figured," she said quietly.

Fred frowned. "Sorry?"

Olivia twisted around and met his gaze. "I know. And I see it in you. I'd probably rather you finish your education, but- I want you to be happy." Her words were simple, but they sparked fireworks in Fred's heart.

"You mean that? Really?" There was so much hope in his voice that it nearly broke Olivia.

"Of course. Fred, I'll always support you. No matter what. I mean, your mother will likely serve me for dinner for saying this, but you shouldn't stay in school if you can learn another way. And I know you. I know you'll find a way. But can you do me one favor?"

Fred was slightly stunned. He exhaled a "Yes?".

"Stay. Just for a bit. And when the time is right, you and Hogwarts can go your separate ways," she said.

Fred nodded. "That was the plan."

"And one more thing."

"Yeah?"

"Leave with a bang."

A/N:

Well, that chapter was full of fluff. I hope you enjoyed it! It seems this book is going to be way fluffier than intended. Oops. Oh, well. I guess there isn't much I can do about that. Olivia and Fred are just a very cute couple! I'm getting to the action, though. So stay tuned. Please don't forget to vote and comment if you liked it. Thanks for your support!<3