Chapter 41

Olivia sat with Jasper on the roof of Mathilda's cottage, swinging their legs over the edge as the last rays of light held on to the horizon.

A gentle wind swept through the countryside in the twilight, looking as if a toddler was tentatively petting the grasses.

"I'm sorry I was so.... Possessive. I didn't mean it. I just- I didn't want to see you hurt. And I'm sorry I didn't tell you that you're adopted," Jasper said into the night.

Olivia's lips quirked into a tiny smile. It was nice to hear the proud boy apologize, not that her anger had ever truly been directed at him. At the world, at her situation, at her parents; yes. But not at Jasper. "I forgive you- on both parts. The adoption thing wasn't your secret to tell. I'm sorry I snapped at you."

"Forgiven." Jasper grabbed a hold of her hand. The action was so quick that Olivia made a little sound, something between a sigh and a giggle.

"You know something?" he said into the silence.

"What?"

"You're not the only one with a- um- relationship," Jasper said sheepishly, very much unlike his usual cocky self. Still bragging, perhaps. Yet it was the shyness in his tone that surprised Olivia.

Her eyes widened and she lit up like a Christmas tree. "Tell me everything."

"First I have to tell you I-" he took a breath and turned his big brown eyes to her. She could sense the anxiety rolling off him in waves. "I think I might be bi." The beat of silence that passed felt like an eternity for Jasper.

Olivia's face pulled into a big smile. "Really? Oh my goodness, that's amazing. I'm so honored you told me." she attacked him in a hug, nearly knocking the two of them off the roof.

Jasper let out a relieved chuckle, a little bit shocked he'd told her. "It feels good to say- I haven't told anyone yet, you know?"

"I'm the first to know?" Olivia asked. After his nod, she squealed and launched herself at him again but this time, he held her back.

"Hey, hold your horses. I'm in no rush to die. You try that again and we will fall off this roof," Jasper warned, though even his reprimand couldn't dim his grin.

Olivia took a second to look out into the night, but her eyes flicked right back to Jasper as a realization hit her. He'd mentioned a name... more than once. Could it be? "Wait, is it Charlie? Are you dating Charlie Weasley?" Her voice got higher at the end and Jasper squeezed his eyes shut.

"Yes. Well, it's complicated. But yes." He put a hand up before Olivia could hug him again. "And no deadly hugs please."

Olivia gave him a fake pout. "You're no fun."

Jasper laughed. "Oh how the tables have turned. I used to be the fun one."

Olivia smiled. "Ah, but at least I've seen improvement. But you, dear cousin, are going down the drain."

Jasper shook his head and slapped her shoulder playfully.

"It's crazy, isn't it? We both ended up with Weasleys around the same time and we didn't even know it," Olivia pondered aloud.

"That we did."

Olivia pulled her knees up to her chest. "Tell me about him."

Jasper huffed. "Well, he's got red hair and freckles. So many freckles. And he's a bit shorter than me. And muscular. He drinks his tea black. Um, he hates dandelions- apparently they get stuck in dragons' noses. And he snorts when he laughs... it's cute. He's just the most empathetic person I know."

Olivia smiled. "He sounds nice."

"He is. I really like him, Livvy," Jasper said, staring off into space, clearly lost in memories. He blinked and focused on her. "Your turn."

"Well, Fred is... he's a handful. I wouldn't want it any other way, though. He's creative- and smart- more than he gives himself credit for. His hair is longer now, but I prefer it short because I'm afraid it's going to catch on fire in one of his experiments. He's got a habit of playing pranks and he likes exploding things. But he's also caring and attentive. And he never leaves me feeling down. He always apologizes when he makes a mistake. Always," Olivia exhaled a long breath.

"So he makes you happy?" Jasper asked.

Olivia nodded and said softly. "He does."

"Hey Livvy?"

"Mmm," Olivia hummed in response.

"I know about the- I know that you're sick. Madam Pomfrey told me." The words echoed like a death sentence.

Olivia nodded. She'd expected this. Dreaded it, but expected it "Yeah. That. I'm not sick, not really. It's just that my soul was cleaved in half and the other half is halfway between clinging to my body and floating through space."

"That- sounds very confusing."

"I thought so at first, too. It's simple, really. When I fell into my coma, it was spurred by some sort of traumatic event. I have no clue what happened- I'm pretty sure someone wiped my memory. That traumatic event dislodged my consciousness from my body. My theory is that my magic somehow kept me tethered and when my strength came back, I was able to pull enough of my consciousness back into myself. That's how I woke up. I probably would have fallen back into a coma if it weren't for Madam Pomfrey," Olivia explained.

"Wow. Life has been pretty eventful since you woke up, huh?"

Olivia chuckled. "Yeah, you could say that."

"Promise you'll try not to fall into a coma again?"

Olivia's lips quirked. "Promise." She said them with false certainty, even though the words tasted bitter in her mouth.