Chapter 47

Months breezed by, and Olivia felt more and more hopeless each day. Aiko was helpful with strategizing. Yet, the task before them seemed just as impossible as before and Olivia was beginning to doubt that she could save Fred's life.

Olivia was twirling her wand and staring blankly at the wall when the doorbell rang. "I'll get it,'' she yelled to her roommate, who only grunted in acknowledgment.

She swung the door open, then immediately frowned as she recognized the figure. It was Remus Lupin, a solemn expression marring his usually cheery features.

"Professor Lupin! What a surprise-did you come to visit?" Olivia asked, genuinely happy to see her favorite professor.

"No dear, I'm afraid I have some bad news. You may want to sit down for this."

So Olivia invited him in and they sat on the stained couch cushions.

Lupin took a breath. "Last night, death eaters attacked your parents, Angela and Matthew Sparks."

Olivia's breath caught in her throat. "What?"

"They- they didn't make it. Your parents are dead, Olivia." Lupin looked so heartbroken from Olivia's point of view. She didn't see herself, looking absolutely shattered.

Her hand started to shake. "N-no." The word was quiet, like the beginning of a child's tantrum. "No." The next was breathless as if the air had been knocked out of her. For the third, she met Lupin's gaze, eyes on the brink of tears, and let out a wail of death. She tried to stand up, it was instinct. To run away, run away from this reality. To run away from this truth. She barely made it halfway when Lupin was catching her. People were always catching her. Catching this broken, soul-torn girl.

She sobbed into his chest, looking like a child. "W-why? I was- I was so horrible to them. And I was mad... I didn-n't talk to them. I didn't talk to them... and now it's too late."

"I know, dear," Lupin said softly, awkwardly patting her back. Olivia sensed it and pulled away, wiping away her tears as she tried to get it together.

"It's my fault. I overheard Death Eaters in an alley- they were talking about traitors. I didn't think that they meant me, but what if they were talking about my parents? They lived amongst muggles, interacted with them all the time. What if?"

Lupin's eyes sharpened. "It isn't your fault, dear. But let's take you to the Order. They need to know everything you heard."

-

Olivia recounted the words, over and over again, before they let her go. She walked out to see Fred, waiting for her.

His eyes widened when he saw her. "Olivia. Are you alright? I just heard." Olivia didn't shake, didn't cry, just melted into his arms. He held her tight, seeming to sense exactly what she needed.

She straightened up when she heard footsteps. George gave her a small nod. "Hey, love. You doing okay?" Olivia gave him a smile and gave him a hug.

"I'm sorry to interrupt you two, but this is some terrible timing. Fred, we have to go retrieve Harry. Moody will be expecting us."

Fred rubbed his temples. "Right,"

"You alright if we leave you, Sparks?" George asked. Olivia ruffled his hair in answer.

"Of course," Her hand lingered just a second too long by his ear.

"I'll see you two at the safehouse."