Chapter 44

Being a public couple was much more difficult than Olivia had thought it would be. Before, she'd been completely anonymous, blending into crowds like a ghost. But Fred had always been the center of attention. He liked it, too. Spectacles were his specialty, and with George his partner in crime, he was unstoppable. Olivia was already anxious for one particular spectacle she knew was soon to come.

Now that she was Fred's girlfriend, people stared at her, too. Some were friendly stares, some curious, and some hostile. They were all unnerving to Olivia, who hid even more than usual and avoided larger crowds. Yet, another part of her wanted to spend every second with Fred and he tended to favor the larger crowds Olivia tried so hard to avoid.

She saw him less, too. Olivia was constantly in the hospital wing, helping Madam Pomfrey and assisting students who'd had the misfortune of attending one of Umbridge's detentions. Olivia did everything to avoid the detentions. Fred, on the other hand, couldn't help but rebel against them. It was his nature. It was one of the things she loved about him, but it also made her worry for his safety.

As she cleaned the wounds on his hand from detention one night, she told him, "You've got to be more careful. Umbridge is just about ready to rip your hand off. I'm worried sick about you."

"Don't worry yourself, love. I can handle it," Fred assured her. Olivia met his gaze with a sad little smile tugging at her lips.

"I know you can, Freddie. I just don't want to see you get yourself killed."

Fred grinned. "Ironic isn't it? I thought I already had a set date?" Fred joked. Olivia frowned.

"We don't know that," she said stiffly.

"Just joking, love." Fred gave her a kiss and held up his neatly bandaged hand. "Thank you for this."

Olivia nodded, but anxiety wormed itself through her heart.

-

It wasn't long before the holidays arrived, and Fred was torn away from her. Arthur Weasley had been injured in an attack on the Ministry of Magic. It had been Death Eaters. Olivia had foreseen this a while back. It'd been her first year at Hogwarts, and she'd been utterly behind in her schoolwork. She was studying when the vision blinded her. She'd stayed silent for a while afterward, staring down at the book in shock. She was too stunned to see the little tear droplets curling up the pages.

Now, it was no longer a distant dream. The nightmare had become a reality. The twins and their siblings left school early to spend time with their family. And although Olivia missed Fred, she knew he was where he had to be.

In the meantime, Olivia bided her time, avoiding Umbridge through the many secret tunnels Fred and George had shown her.

She'd always heard that boredom sparks creativity. She hadn't believed it, but it was in her own boredom and loneliness that a backup plan came to her. In case everything went wrong, in case she couldn't save Fred by keeping him out of the battle, she had one last chance to save him, a chance she hoped she wouldn't have to use.

-

Mass Breakout From Azkaban!

Breaking News! Prisoners have escaped Azkaban in a mass breakout. It is the first time such a thing has occurred in three hundred years. The ministry of magic assures wizards that the situation is under control, but recommends keeping an eye out. Fear has been sparked among those who insist upon Voldemort's return, as many of the escapees are known Death Eaters, including Bellatrix Lestrange and Augustus Rookwood. Stay tuned for more updates!

-

Olivia would have forgotten. Would have forgotten that her father was a killer. Would have forgotten that he'd escape from Azkaban. The newspaper flapping before her was a brutal reminder.

Solemnly, she tapped on the glass of her window. Hoping, waiting for Fred to come back. If only he was here now. If only he was here. If only.

-

The holidays flew by faster than Olivia would have liked. She stayed at Hogwarts, still dreading returning home. It was a common occurrence in Olivia's life, running away. She thought she'd grown, yet here she was.

Fred and the rest of his family returned, happy that their father was alive, but grim with the realization that they were living in a new world. Olivia hated seeing the innocence rubbed away like this, hope squashed.

It hurt most to see it on Ginny, who'd always been such a bright girl. Olivia's visions had never done her justice.

"Ginny?" she asked tentatively. The girl looked up from the broom she was studying, a lollipop hanging out of her mouth.

"Want to do something fun?" Olivia's heart jumped into her throat, fearing that her boyfriend's sister would despise her, despite obvious evidence that suggested otherwise.

Ginny blinked, cocked her head, and raised her eyebrows. She took the lollipop out of her mouth and twirled it in her fingers. "To anyone else, I'd have said I'm in no mood for fun. But I think I can make an exception for you."

Olivia smiled, grabbing her hand. "I have something to show you."

She led Ginny down through the corridors, eyes searching for any sign of danger. She stopped by a window, where she'd artfully hidden two brooms. When she looked over to Ginny, Olivia was met with nothing more than raised eyebrows.

With Olivia in the lead, they flew up to the roof and sat to watch the sunrise.

"Nice spot but... you should be here with Fred," Ginny said after a while.

"I should, but he's with George-"

"They're planning something aren't they?" she asked, interrupting Olivia.

"I-um- yes, I suppose you could say that." Olivia couldn't lie.

Ginny put her face in her hands. "Not again. They can't afford a stunt right now- it would be disastrous- and what if we all get expelled? How will I get a quidditch scholarship then? What if-'' Ginny rambled and Olivia put a hand on her arm. She'd never heard Ginny so anxious. She'd always been the strong, brave one.

"Everything will be alright, I promise," Olivia assured her.

Ginny wasn't convinced. "How can you be so sure?"

Olivia took a deep breath. "Can I tell you something? You have to promise not to tell anyone."

Ginny squinted in suspicion. "Okay?"

Olivia looked out at the sky, leaning back on her hands as she tipped her head back. "I can see the future."

There was an extended silence before Ginny exhaled. "Well, that explains a lot."

Olivia sat up in confusion. "That wasn't the reaction I was expecting."

"What? Am I supposed to be mad?" Ginny asked incredulously. "I bet this must be odd to explain to people."

"That's an understatement," Olivia chuckled, pulling out a deck of cards.

The two played various card games while Ginny asked Olivia questions. Olivia was better at answering thanks to practice, but it was still difficult to put her experiences into words. It felt good to talk to someone who didn't fear her for her abilities and didn't hate her for them. Ginny just... accepted it.

Olivia just had to hope that Ginny wouldn't tell anyone.