Chapter 24

In the next few days, Olivia's frustration grew. That moment they'd shared was still stuck in her head. Had she imagined it? It seemed it had only contributed to the insanity. Not only had things between her and Fred become awkward, but she'd also reached a standstill in finding a way to save him.

At one point, she'd yelled at Phebe and Fleur of all people. She was like a kettle about to blow over, getting angry over nothing, and Phebe had sent her out to take a walk. To be fair, Olivia truly needed to calm down.

She found that her feet led her to the one place she always seemed to gravitate towards. The astronomy tower. It was always so nice up there. She could see the landscape for miles and the cool wind whipping against her skin made her feel like she was flying. It was good timing, too. She'd make it just in time to see the sunset.

But as Olivia reached the final few steps, she saw a familiar figure leaning against the railing. She turned on her heel, hoping to rush out without being noticed.

"Olivia?"

Too late. Olivia took a deep breath, steeling herself, and walked to join him beside the railing.

"Hi, Fred."

He glanced at her sidelong.

"You alright, love?" he asked, concern lining his brows. Olivia sighed.

"I-I don't know," she gave a sad chuckle. Fred put a finger under her chin forcing her to meet his gaze.

"Talk to me, Sparks. What is it?" Olivia pushed his hand away, lip trembling as the reality dawned on her. Fred had so little time left.

"I can't t-tell you," she said, a tear running down her cheek. Fred stepped closer, concern spilling through every crevice of his expression.

"Did someone hurt you?" Anger entered his voice. Olivia only shook her head.

"No, nothing like that."

"Then what is it?" Olivia's mouth opened and closed a few times before she could answer his question.

"The visions," her voice was barely a whisper. Understanding flitted across Fred's eyes. He tugged her elbow, pulling her down beside him.

"Sit," he instructed. Olivia complied, glad to be off her shaky legs. Once they were both down somewhat comfortably and the orange glow of the sunset settled over them, Fred asked, "What is it like?"

Olivia didn't have to ask to know what he meant. "They're terrible," she put her head in her hands, letting out a huff of air. Fred's hand rubbed comforting circles on her back.

"How so?"

"Well, for starters, I can't do anything about them. Do you know what it's like to just walk past a person and know they're going to die? And the worst part is, I-I can't even do anything to stop it." Olivia was crying now.

Fred, still attentive, asked softly, "Did you know me... before you met me?"

"I- yes. I did. It was like you were an old friend. I knew George, too. It's like that with some people." Fred nodded at her words.

"I'm sorry."

"What?"

"I'm sorry- that you have to go through this," Fred said, sounding truly sincere.

"You have nothing to be sorry for, Fred. It's not your fault that I'm like this."

"But I did do something, didn't I. That first day we met, I made you sad. Why?" Olivia couldn't seem to tear her gaze from his.