Chapter 19

Mercifully, the twins left Olivia alone. They could tell she needed space... and time. They'd truly messed up this time. Whenever she saw them in the hallways, there was this sad, empty look in her eyes. But, unlike when they'd first met, she didn't run away. She didn't hide from her feelings. No, this time, Olivia let them hit her like a truck. It broke Fred's heart to see his best friend like that. George felt the same.

Fred beat himself up every day about it. How could have he been so daft? How could he have been such a terrible friend? He'd known Olivia had it hard. Hadn't realized exactly how hard, but he should have known. He should have known... and it killed him.

Fred lay in his dorm with George, staring up at the ceiling.

"Is this what death feels like?" Fred asked. George closed the book he was reading and met his brother's stare.

"Worse."

"I regret it, George. I don't know how we could possibly make it up to her," Fred sighed, looking back up to the ceiling. George chuckled sadly and rubbed his temples.

"I had no idea it was that bad."

"Nor did I."

"We should do something. Something big," George proposed. Fred let this sink in for a moment.

"Yes. Fireworks," Fred offered, letting a small smile settle on his face at the thought.

"Ooooh. Yes. I'm sorry in big letters," George agreed. Fred sat up quickly.

"Just- let me talk to her first. Okay?"

"Alright."

-

Olivia watched as Fred made his way up to her. She looked down at her shoes. It was too painful to meet his gaze.

"Hey," he started.

"Hi," Olivia didn't know what else to say.

"Look at me." She didn't. Fred sighed, lifting Olivia's chin up with a hand. Her lip trembled and a tear made its way down her cheek as their eyes met. Fred's hand dropped and Olivia looked away, hastily wiping at the tear she hoped he hadn't noticed. But he had. Fred frowned.

"Are you alright?" he asked, concerned. She didn't answer. "Olivia?"

"No," she said suddenly, finally letting him see her eyes swimming with tears. "I'm not alright," she bit out.

"I'm so sorry. We-"

"Don't. Please don't. You have no idea, Fred. No idea what I've gone through. I've seen-" she choked on her words as she thought of the terrors that had plagued her. Olivia looked him dead in the eye. "I've seen terrible things. Nothing can erase that."

"If-" Fred started but Olivia shook her head.

"I'm not done. If I tell you anything, if I do anything wrong, people will die. I have that power, Fred. It felt so good to have friends... to feel normal for a second. So you don't understand. You don't know what it did to me when you betrayed my trust like that."

For the first time, Olivia saw tears in Fred's eyes. "I-" his voice cracked and he lowered it to a whisper, "I'm so sorry." Olivia swallowed.

"I don't know if you'll ever forgive me. I wouldn't. I'll never forgive myself and I'm... sorry," he continued. Olivia blinked rapidly.

"You didn't know. You didn't know and I should have told you. I'm sorry," she said. Fred almost laughed.

"What do you need to apologize for? You didn't do anything wrong." Olivia almost laughed, but then she was crying harder. Fred extended his arms for a hug and Olivia sobbed, running into them.

She cried into Fred's chest as his arms held her close. His own chest was shaking and Olivia knew that he was crying, too.

"I'm getting your shirt wet," Olivia said softly, the sound muffled against his chest. Fred pulled away a bit, looking into her eyes.

"You did that first day. I didn't mind then and I don't mind now." Olivia smiled.

"I'm glad... to have you as a friend, you know."

"Who wouldn't," Fred said as if it was an instinct. Olivia slapped him, lightly. "Sorry," Fred laughed.

He grabbed her hand. "C'mere. I want to show you something. He pulled her to a balcony where he gave a short, loud whistle.

As if on cue, fireworks erupted with a boom. Olivia gasped, not noticing Fred's eyes glued to her expression. The fireworks shot up in a dizzying array of bright yellows and reds. Olivia was mesmerized by the entire thing.

She stopped once to ask, "Did you do this?"

"Do you like it?"

"Yes," Olivia's eyes flicked to Fred for a second. "Did you get permission?"

"No."

"You're impossible," Olivia shook her head, trying to be disapproving but failing at hiding her smile.

"Mmm," Fred hummed, enjoying every second of her reaction. It was worth it. It didn't matter what the punishment was, it would still be worth it.

The fireworks reached a crescendo, erupting in one final message: We're sorry, Olivia. Love, F & G. Olivia's eyes filled with tears again.

"Aw, don't cry," Fred said. Olivia wiped a sleeve across her eyes.

"Shut up," she answered. Fred laughed. George bounded up the stairs and Olivia turned to him.

"Oh, George," she ran to him and he swept her into a bear hug, turning her in circles. Olivia half-laughed, half-cried. It was the sort of thing that would have made Fred jealous months ago, but not anymore. He only smiled, glad to see his brother reconcile with their friend.

"I'm sorry, George. I'm sorry that I can't tell you everything," she told him.

"No, I'm sorry. We shouldn't have done that. You can tell us when you're ready, Sparks. Or not at all. We're here for you," he answered. Olivia hugged him harder.

McGonagall gave the twins a week's worth of detention. In truth, the punishment should have been much greater, but McGonagall had gone easy on them. The woman wasn't blind. As much as the twins gave her a headache, she knew they'd done the right thing. She would have lessened their punishment if only to see the smile return to the face of her favorite student. She would have made such a great Gryffindor.

Olivia went back to studying. But this time, she made sure the twins studied, too. If only for Molly's sake. The twins even told their mother about Olivia's efforts, to which Molly had sent a tin of cookies by owl. According to George, Errol, the Weasley family owl, had barely made it to Hogwarts with the heavy load. The story had made her laugh.

The only thing Olivia cared about, however, was having her two best friends back.