Chapter 15

The next day, Phebe caught Olivia in the common room.

"Hey. You going to the Gryffindor party tonight?"

"Oh, um. No, I'm not," Olivia replied. Phebe frowned.

"Why not? Gryffindors have great parties," she insisted.

"You have experience with... parties?" Olivia was confused. Phebe only laughed at her expression.

"Is that so surprising? Honestly Sparks, you wound me," she put a hand to her chest in mock hurt. "But yes, I love going to parties. There's nothing wrong with a little bit of fun. Hufflepuff parties are the best, though."

"Really? Why is that."

"The food, of course. Great food, great drinks, nice people. All you need, really. Ravenclaw parties, however, are such a bore. Everyone does trivia and has intellectual conversations. It's dreadful! The only ones who attend are Ravenclaws and a few overly competitive Slytherins," Phebe complained.

"What about Slytherin parties?" Olivia asked.

"Oh, those. They're terrible. They just dress up all fancy and sit around. More boring than Ravenclaw parties, I'm afraid. Gryffindor parties are the complete opposite. They tend to play truth or dare quite a bit. Oh, and they always get drunk. It's just the way it is."

"Interesting."

"So, are you coming?" Phebe asked again.

"I already said no..." Olivia started.

"Pity. I was hoping you'd changed your mind."

"Hmm. Yes, I'm stubborn that way," Olivia smiled. Phebe shook her head.

"Indeed."

-

Olivia was lounging on her bed, observing as her roommates frantically prepped for the party.

"Where are my shoes," Marietta squealed, running about.

"Weren't they under your bed?" Naomy shouted from across the room. Marietta bent down and searched there.

"Not here."

"They're in your hand, Marietta," Cho said, turning from the mirror where she'd been doing her hair.

"Oh! Thank goodness." Marietta slipped the strappy heels on. Naomy passed Olivia's bed, stopped, and turned on her heel.

"You're not going?"

"No," Olivia said. Cho walked over.

"Why not?" Cho asked.

"I don't know. It's not my thing."

"Have you ever actually been to a Hogwarts party?" Marietta joined in.

"No, but-"

"Then how would you know?" Marietta finished.

"You should come," Naomy urged.

"Oh, yes, Olivia. It would be so much fun," Cho chimed.

"I-"

"You aren't just going to sit here alone all night, are you?" Marietta asked.

"Because that's just sad," Naomy finished.

"Okay, now I feel attacked," Olivia put her hands up in surrender.

Cho laughed, pulling her up. "Oh, come." Olivia shut her eyes and let out a long breath.

"Fine," she said in a whisper.

"Is that a yes?" Marietta asked. Olivia nodded imperceptibly.