Chapter 13

As Christmas came, Olivia's somber mood slipped back into place. She'd sent gifts to parents not long ago. She'd scoured Hogsmeade, hoping something would catch her eye. Nothing had. In the end, she'd settled on a pretty necklace for her mum, a fancy pen for her dad, a box of chocolates for her aunt, and a green scarf for Jasper.

On that particular trip, she'd also purchased a few things to keep her occupied during the Holidays. A book, a leatherbound journal for notes, and some embroidery floss. There was a girl who always sat in the common room doing embroidery. In an inspired moment of boredom, Olivia had decided that she, too, would teach herself to embroider. After her first try, however, she gave up, choosing to make bracelets instead. Her favorite, a red bracelet with blue and gold stripes, now rested on her left wrist.

She'd grown bored with studying fast. It irked her to no end. She was supposed to be making good use of this time! But... it was no good. She wouldn't be getting anything done. She might as well try something new.

Olivia explored the grounds, created a map of the library, and memorized half of her textbook for Care of Magical Creatures. The book had given her some trouble at first, nearly biting her hand off. But Olivia was intelligent, and soon figured out how to soothe the wretched thing. By stroking its spine, of course.

If there was one class Olivia was desperate to attend in person, it was Care of Magical Creatures. Reading about all the magical creatures simply couldn't compare to the real thing. Hagrid had shown her a creature or two, but it wasn't much. For other classes, however, Olivia was afraid to go back. Like Potions. For one, Snape hated her. But, more importantly, what if she blew up the classroom? It wasn't that far-fetched, considering how she'd destroyed it last time. If the walls had been made of wood instead of stone, the damage would have been irreparable.

Dumbledore had told her that she would be joining regular classes with the rest of the fifth-years when the holiday ended. Flitwick had assured her that she was more than ready, but Olivia was filled with doubt. Yes, she had absorbed the information like a sponge, something she contributed to her lack of memories and unique situation, but she still didn't feel confident. It made her more nervous than she cared to admit.

When Christmas Eve rolled up, Olivia found herself making her way to the Astronomy tower. Unlike last time, she made sure to bundle herself up, wrapping herself in a jumper, coat, and obnoxiously large scarf. The air was cold, but Olivia was warm. Olivia scanned the area. There, sitting against a pillar, was Fred.

"Hi Fred," she greeted.

"Hey." She noted the sadness in his voice. She kneeled, putting a hand on his arm. His eyes flicked to her.

"Everything okay?" He closed his eyes and rested his head on the stone behind him.

"Fred?" she nudged him, concerned now.

"I just-" he choked a bit. "I always have to be so perfect, you know?"

"Did something happen?"

"No. I have... good days and bad days."

"Today is a bad day," Olivia finished.

"Yeah," Fred pulled a flask out of his pocket. "Want some?"

"No, Fred, you can't do that," she stopped the bottle's ascent to his lips and snatched it from his hands. "I'm confiscating this."

"Nooo... oh, come on. Can't we have some fun?" he protested.

"Firewhiskey isn't fun. It's just the easy way out. There are better ways to have fun."

"Like what?" he leaned closer, smirking. Olivia rolled her eyes to hide the heat that rose to her face, trying to ignore her racing heartbeat. The boy flirted with everyone. He couldn't like her. No, Olivia assured herself they were just friends. She sat next to him.