Chapter 8 | To Taste Freedom

Hi Guys,
Here is the second chapter I am uploading today! I should be able to go back to my normal schedule now, so expect a new Chapter this Sunday <3
Love Daisy x

____________________________

Chapter Eight | To Taste Freedom

*

Accismus

(n.) feigning disinterest in somethingwhile actually desiring it.

*

After that day, the main library became a place of sanctuary for Iris.

Balthazar no longer held their lessons in her rooms, and Iris spent less and less time in the East Wing. Instead, her tutor expected her to make her way to their room in the library every morning before nine o-clock. The challenge, Balthazar had told her with a smile, was to arrive via a different route every morning.

Not only that, but Gabriel's challenge to her – to attempt to lose him through the use of evasive manoeuvres each morning – meant that in the week that followed, Iris became quickly acquainted with a large portion of the Palace.

She also realised; just how lucky she had gotten on that first morning she had managed to lose Gabriel. Now that the Lycan knew what she was aiming to do, it was almost impossible to shake him off her trail. By the seventh day, she had only managed to succeed once.

"Don't be too hard on yourself," Gabriel had told her solemnly one morning, when she had felt particularly vexed by her own incapability, "it is what I am trained for. I learnt my lesson that first morning – I will not be underestimating you again, Princess."

His reassurances had done nothing but make her more frustrated. How on earth was she ever going to improve herself enough to make the King look at her – if she couldn't even do something as simple as losing one guard?

Her grievances had not stopped there. It had now been two weeks since she had last seen Arlo – although she had learned for the reason for his absence during the beginning of the second week. Upon plucking up the courage to ask Gabriel about the whereabouts of her guardian, the stoic guard had informed her that King Darius had sent his brother away from Aether on a covert scouting mission, to assess the impact that the rouge Shifters were having on the Elven population.

When she had asked more, Gabriel had merely informed her that she did not need to concern herself with talk of war. At this, Iris had looked to Balthazar, but her tutor had shaken his head almost imperceivably, warning her without words that it would be best to drop the subject.

"You are not part of the King's guard," Balthazar had told her later on that evening when he had sent Gabriel to fetch him his umpteenth cup of coffee for the day.

"As far as His Majesty is concerned, anyone who is not directly involved, has no need for information concerning the war. I am surprised that Gabriel was even allowed to supply you with information on Prince Arlo's whereabouts. No doubt any other information has been locked under the Kings command. I doubt he could tell you anything more, even if he wanted to."

"The King's command?" Iris had asked in surprise, "What is that?"

Balthazar's face had become thoughtful. "I say 'Kings' command, but really, it is an ability any Lycan is capable of wielding if their will is strong enough and they cultivate it well." His blue eyes had become piercing through his gold rimmed glasses.