Chapter 49 | Ignite

Hi lovely people, 

I'm posting this chapter as it's completed, as I'm struggling to stick to my schedule and don't want to make you wait for the weekend :) We are reaching the end (can you believe it) and I'm so excited!! 

I hope you've all been well,
Love Daisy 

______________________________

Chapter 49 | Ignite

*

'I am coming for you.
And I shall be your end.'

- Obsidian Bones (APKR) 

*

IRIS

It took Iris some time to become accustomed to participating in council affairs.

While she had been eager to join in initially, her enthusiasm waned with time, as she began to think that perhaps the council were just using the threat of war to finally pin Darius down and yak his ear off about any matter of things that he had apparently been avoiding for some time.

Ragnar especially, seemed all too pleased to finally have his King's undivided attention, and Iris caught Darius rolling his eyes more than once as the old lycan prattled on and on about this, and that, and generally made a nuisance of himself.
Iris discovered that Neithreal was usually the one to pull the older lycan in- taunting him with some spiteful comment that would cause him to flair up in rage, and inadvertently change the subject.

To begin with, the war had been at the head of their discussions. Preparations, countermeasures, training their forces, potential allies- all of it was valuable for Iris to learn. However, as the weeks passed, and no further news came from their reconnaissance forces, it was not only Iris who began to doubt whether the rebels still planned to move.

"It's as though they have vanished off the face of the earth," Eden said with frustration, during one meeting. "We haven't been able to locate their main force, and the initial spy we sent to infiltrate their camp has not made contact since the attack. It is highly likely they were discovered." She turned to Darius. "I recommend writing them off completely. We should start fresh, with the assumption that they have been lost."

Eden, the current Mayor of Lunex, had been appointed as the General that would replace Gabriel in Darius's ranks a few weeks prior. Iris remembered meeting her in passing during the ball that was held for her birthday but had not seen her since. Both Vandor and Gabriel had recommended Eden for the General's position, and the woman had fought the current Generals to determine her rank – as per tradition. The sparring session had attracted a large crowd, and eventuated with Eden ranked second to Vandor, the blonde woman beating Mizuki by a hair's breadth.

"I would expect no less from the leader of Lunex," Mizuki had gracefully accepted defeat with a rare smile. "Please continue to serve our King well."

"It will be my pleasure," Eden had replied, "our fight was close, and it appears I have many areas in which to improve. I will look forward to our next battle."

Eden's fighting style had fascinated Iris – the woman fought with a rugged viciousness that Iris was unused to seeing- Mizuki's elegance, and deadly precision a more familiar sight.