Chapter 38 | Holding Back

Here is the second Chapter for my bulk/ belated Christmas upload! I hope you enjoy :)

__________________________

Chapter 38 | Holding Back

*

'It's like I want to be
alone,
but I want to be
t o u c h e d .'

- unknown

*

IRIS

After only a few hours, Iris woke for a reason she could not explain.

At first, she remained hidden under her covers, sure that it was a nightmare- although the red world of her dreams had not plagued her for some time now.

Her curtains were not drawn, and a warm yellow glow filtered through her windows, light from the lanterns that decorated the city streets below. Gathering her courage, Iris peeled back a corner of her duvet, peeking out at the mirror standing in the corner.

She saw nothing but her room- reflected peacefully back at her. Iris sagged back into her pillows in relief.

Through an open window somewhere in the room, the sound of many voices echoed, tinny and thin due to distance. It seemed that the festivities were still on going and she supposed she should feel glad that at least, if her birthday could not be enjoyed by her, it could be enjoyed by others.

She shuffled into sitting, and almost screamed at the sight of Azrael, poised silently at the end of her bed. As though he had been waiting for her to notice his presence, the lion stood.

"Rrrup." His amber eyes glowed in the dim light from below and Iris pressed a hand to her chest and felt her heart beating thunderously against her palm.

"Oh my gosh." She scolded him breathlessly. "Oh my gosh. Don't ever do that to me again."

After a moment, she slipped out from between the covers, fetched her robe and exited silently into the hall. Azrael followed her, bumping against her legs as he sloped past her to lead the way. She rolled her eyes and swatted his tail playfully.

"You could have left by yourself you know, if you didn't want to be here." She opened the main door that led from the East Wing and watched Azrael pause before slipping through. The lion's hesitance caused her to feel a spark of irrational nervousness, but when she opened the door fully there was no one there. Quietly, she breathed a sigh of relief.

She didn't have a particular destination in mind for this night-time endeavour, but eventually it became clear she was heading towards the West Wing of the palace. Azrael seemed happy to accompany her, and Iris had not come across anyone else. She supposed they were still down enjoying the ball.

Her feet faltered for a moment when she reached the lion statue that indicated the beginning of Darius's territory. The last time she had passed through here, the King had unabashedly banned her from entering, but it had been so long since then, and for some reason tonight, she felt a deep urge to cross the forbidden boundary. The feeling was both exhilarating and frightening.

She dithered for a moment longer before deciding that surely, as King, Darius would still be down at the ball. It was a reassuring thought- he wouldn't even know she was there. Not that she even really knew why she was there.

Drifting down the moonlit hall, with her hand resting lightly on Azrael's hide, Iris once again found herself entranced by the massive oil paintings that consumed most of the walls. She remembered noticing them last time, but the subject matter still captivated her.