Chapter 27 | Unwilling Reunions

Hi everyone! 
I hope you've all been well. I've been off for a while sorry as life, study, and work all got busy together suddenly- but I am planning to return to regular updates from today, which means the next chapter will be updated on Sunday 3rd of October :)
Iris will also be returning in the next chapter (I think). 
I hope you enjoy this chapter!

Much love,
Daisy 

___________________________________

Chapter 27 | Unwilling Reunions

*

"When you're born in a
burning house,
you think the whole world
is on fire.
But it's not."

-Richard Kadrey,
(Aloha from Hell)

*

DARIUS

In the Water Kingdom's capital city, Lilura, the night seemed to be everlasting. The warm glow of lanterns filled the streets, and the sound of music and festivities permeated the air. Clapping hands struck up an endless rhythm and tireless feet twirled together, dancing the tale of love and unity into the worn cobblestones.

The water of the surrounding ocean lapped gently at the edges of the city and far below the still water, the festivities continued on- the city below the water aglow with luminescent mermaid pearls the size of large dinner plates- as those who lived below the surface celebrated also.

The subjects of their celebration were currently still busy hosting at their wedding reception in the grand palace- the Water Kingdoms Queen, Evangeline Deuiach and the Air Sprite Prince, Zephyr Ascain, had been unified just that afternoon.

Darius Greyson was currently in conversation with Zephyr Ascain himself. It had been two decades since Zephyr had last been a part of their world, and even longer since they had last met. The two old friends were not shy about taking the opportunity to catch up on twenty long years of missed history.

Darius rather enjoyed conversation with Zephyr- the Air Sprite was tactful, and never asked too many questions. It was just that the man had some rather questionable family ties- in Darius's opinion- and it was one of these that was, unfortunately, the subject of their current conversation.

"Vidarr asked if you would be coming, you know." Zephyr mentioned, swirling the liquor in his glass expertly before taking a long sip. "I do not think this will be a conversation you will be able to avoid. There have been rumours, Darius."

Darius's mood had grown increasingly foul since they had breached on this topic of conversation, and he drained the rest of his glass in order to control his temper. "Why would I speak with him," he said curtly, "there is nothing that needs to be said."

Zephyr sighed, his opal eyes following the spinning figures on the dancefloor. "It shouldn't be this way."

Darius's jaw tightened, his expression becoming darkly brooding. "You do not have to tell me. I was not the one who turned my back. That responsibility lies with them."

"I was not implying that, my friend."

"I know you weren't." Darius placed his glass on the table. Leaning back in his chair, he folded his arms tightly across his chest, his fingers drumming out a rhythm on his bicep. "Perhaps in the future, there will be an opportunity to mend the relationships between the houses," he spoke vaguely, his thoughts leaving the decadent ballroom for a moment, "but I am not the Monarch to make that happen," he finished firmly, his gaze sweeping across to stare at Zephyr. "I cannot forgive what happened in the past. And I do not think they are capable of doing so either."