Chapter 16 | Secrets

Yay, early update! 
I was excited to write this Chapter and couldn't wait till tomorrow to post it
- I've already begun writing the next one too so hopefully will have it up on time next Sunday.

I hope you enjoy it, and thankyou so much for the consistent votes that this book has received so far! 

Happy Reading!
Love Daisy x 

_____________________________

Chapter 16 | Secrets 

*

'This is who we are.
A product of
w a r.'

- unknown

*

The day after sparring with her, Arlo left with a pack of Elite, promising Iris that, on his return, he would take her to visit Lunex, the riverside town that supplied Aether with most of it's produce.

Without Arlo, Iris's days off became a little dull, and when another month passed with no word of his return, Iris once again found herself longing for the freedom of her old life.

Gabriel had begun to leave her more and more to her own devices as well, a change that should have been taken as a good thing – after all it meant that the King was less strict with keeping her under watch all the time – but instead only added to her loneliness.

One such Sunday, Iris found a note on her dining table from Gabriel, stating that he would be spending the day at the training grounds and offering his apologies.

She sighed and paced around the room restlessly, wondering how best to spend the day. She could go to the library, but the sun was dazzling outside and the thought of wasting such a day indoors pained her.

She had explored most of the palace by now – and had not found a new secret door in about a month. She was unable to venture down to the town alone – it was prohibited for her apparently. Her body still ached after the beating Mizuki had pummelled into her yesterday, so she didn't feeling like seeking out Gabriel for extra training either.

Resting her elbows woefully on the windowsill, she looked out at the glittering city below with a slight sense of hopelessness. On the surface, she appeared busy. But once all of that was stripped away ... just what was she doing here exactly? Instead of living, why did this feel so much like wasting time?

Arlo had once told her – before they had moved to the palace – that she couldn't remain locked up in her tower forever. And after finally deciding to give Aether a chance and experiencing a little bit of what the wider world had to offer, Iris found herself agreeing with him.

So, then what was it she was doing now exactly? If this wasn't wasting time locked in a tower, (quite literally in fact,) then what was?

Pushing herself back up from the windowsill, Iris forced herself to shove those thoughts aside. She just needed a purpose. That was all. And right now, she needed to be outside.

Grabbing her backpack, she headed out of the East Wing and out of the palace, heading for the Western Gardens.

*