Chapter 46 | Stirring Emotion

Hi everyone,

This chapter is short, but it's better than nothing I guess :) Thank-you very much for the kind words of support after my announcement, you guys are the best and I'm sorry this chapter has taken so long - it was very hard to write.
The next chapter we will be back with our girl.

Enjoy and much love,
Daisy

__________________________________________

Chapter 46 | Stirring Emotion

*

'I should have hugged you,
tighter and longer
the last time I saw you.'

-unknown

*

Ezekiel found them in the gardens. They had been there all morning, or so the maids had told him. The day was a fine one, the sun warmer than it had been in the previous weeks. A light breeze danced through the air, bringing with it a winter chill on the cusp of thawing into spring.

The gardens through which Ezekiel hurried were just beginning to bloom, delicate patches of color bursting from within shoots of green. Ezekiel's footsteps slowed as the pair came into view and when a large form rose unexpectedly from the flower garden in front of him, he halted warily.

Azrael blinked lazily at the advisor, amber eyes startlingly clear. Ezekiel weighed his words.

"I need to speak with his Majesty," he said finally, "it is urgent-"

The lion huffed, his heavy head swinging away from Ezekiel dismissively.

"It is urgent," Ezekiel repeated insistently.

Azrael's thick upper lick curled back in a grimace full of fangs and warning. A low rumble vibrated through the air.

Ezekiel tsked at the threat and glanced back to the pair.

Blankets had been laid on the grass, a large parasol providing shade for the Princess. Cushions decorated the blankets lavishly, and the King lounged across them, a hand flung carelessly across his face. Propped up against his side was Iris, a book cradled in her slender hands. She was still weak – even from a distance Ezekiel could see as much, but the fresh air seemed to be doing her some good. There was a flush to her cheeks that had been absent before, and as he watched, Darius lifted the hand that was covering his face to sweep some of her dark hair back over her shoulder.

Iris smiled slightly, without pausing in her speech. She appeared to be reading to him. The King let his hand fall, positioning it behind his head instead, his intense stare focused solely on her.

Ezekiel shifted his stance and Azrael growled again- louder this time. Almost immediately, the King's sharp eyes flickered to where they stood. Upon meeting his gaze, Ezekiel looked away swiftly, his words of reprimand shrivelling on his tongue. The message in Darius's fierce gaze was clear.

Leave us.

Ezekiel left with Azrael's amber gaze boring into his back. Satisfied that his duty had been performed, the lion chuffed once and flopped back down to finish his nap.
-

DARIUS

Darius watched Ezekiel leave as silently as he had come. His brow smoothed as he turned his attention back to the Princess. She appeared serene as she read to him, her voice carrying sweetly through the warm air.