Chapter 19 | The City of Queens

Hi team!

Here is the next update for you. Thank-you so much for the amazing response on the last Chapter, I am so happy that you all enjoyed reading it as much as I loved writing. This chapter is a little shorter and a little less action packed, but I hope you will enjoy it anyway <3

Happy Reading,
Love Daisy x

_________________________

Chapter 19 | The City of Queens

*

'Sometimes
we fall d o w n
because there is
something
down there that we
are supposed to
find.'

- unknown

*

IRIS

It was only once Iris collected herself somewhat, that she was truly able to comprehend who it was that had offered her comfort.

The shoulder beneath her cheek was firm and powerful, the neck she clung to was a neck that bowed to no one, yet he had stooped to allow her arms to reach around him more easily.

With her embarrassment rising, Iris loosened her grasp and hastily withdrew. Fortunately, Darius released her without comment, allowing her to save some dignity.

She hid her face for a moment, quickly swiping at her tears and thought she felt the slightest brush of a hand against her dark hair. However, when she looked up, Darius was already turning away, and Iris thought she must have imagined it.

"Come." The command was cold and irrefutable. Still feeling a little dazed, Iris stepped forward without thinking, her eyes locked on his proud back. As always, his spine was solid and straight, an unbreakable line that cleanly divided the muscle on either side.

Why was he here?

The thought caused her feet to stutter, and then stumble to a halt. Noticing her hesitance, Darius paused. He glanced over one shoulder, taking in her torn shirt and desolate expression. His grey eyes softened minutely.

"Come." This time his tone had lost some of its coldness and he extended out a hand towards her. "I will escort you back to Aether."

"I-" Iris wavered, looking back up the staircase, towards the double doors of the ballroom. She glanced back to Darius, but his closed off expression offered no answers. Her lips parted, and then shut again.

Inexplicably,  Iris found that she could not voice her words of doubt quite yet. Her mind was a jumbled mess, and she needed time to think, to figure out what she was going to say, and how she was going to say it.

That and ... since Darius had arrived, the two of them seemed to have reached some sort of truce and Iris found that she did not want to be the one to break it. She told herself that it was only due to circumstance, and was sure that, once they reached Aether, their relationship – or lack of – would return to how it had been before. But for now, she supposed she could let his presence calm her restlessness somewhat.

With this in mind, she silently took his outstretched hand, letting him lead her down the steps to the little boat. She could not help but remember the last time he had led her by the hand. Certainly, the final destination had been one that Iris would rather scratch from her memory. This time was different though; Iris could tell he was not angry like he had been the night they had visited the prison.