Chapter 51 | The Monarch

*

'Nothing ever ends poetically.
It ends and we turn it into poetry.
All that blood was never once beautiful.
It was just red.'

- Kait Rokowski (via tromos)

*

IRIS

They were in the council room when the news arrived.

At the urgent knock, Darius paused in what he was saying, the room falling silent.

"Enter."

Iris glanced up from the document she was reviewing, intrigued. It was unusual for anyone to disrupt them mid meeting – especially so early in the morning.

A member of the elite guard stepped into the room and saluted the King.

"Your Majesty, pardon my interruption, but we have a received a report from the Elven Queen."

"What?" Darius said sharply. "Where is it?"

The guard offered a small scroll, sealed with green wax. Breaking the seal, Darius read through the contents quickly. Iris watched with a growing sense of dread as his expression became more thunderous by the second.

"The Queen is requesting assistance," he said finally, slamming the scroll down on the table. "The Shifters have found them."

There was a moment of silence and then abruptly the room was in an uproar.

Iris was unhearing of the many voices that called their dissent around her. Her blood was rushing loud through her ears, heart pumping desperately in her chest. She only had eyes for one, but he was not looking at her – his expression grim as he raked a hand through his golden hair.

He too, seemed unhearing of the words from the council, as he slumped back down in his chair, his grey eyes finally lifting to meet hers. They stared at each other wordlessly. There was only an arm's length between them, so why did the distance seem insurmountable?

Don't go. Her lips formed the selfish words silently, but she knew it was fruitless.

He had to go. That was what it meant to be King.

Sure enough, he turned his gaze from her, his face hard.

Iris felt her blood run cold. Dread caught her by the throat and yanked her forward, her hands reaching across the table to cover his larger ones, demanding his attention.

"Darius," her voice was a soft plea. She would not have to say any more. He knew what she was asking.

He did not look at her. "You would have me send another in my place?" He asked monotonously. "Without knowing what they might face?"

She knew that they were both thinking of Arlo.

"Darius." His name trembled on her lips and a muscle jumped in his jaw. "Take me with you." She slipped from her chair to kneel at his side, gripping his hands in her own as she gazed up at him imploringly. "Please, take me with you."

Iris could feel eyes on her, but she did not care. Darius was finally looking at her, seemingly shocked by her actions.

"Get up." He sounded angry.

She shook her head. "No. They wanted a reason to trust my loyalty. Let this be it. Please, take me with you. Don't leave me behind."

His grey eyes were startlingly bright. Beneath her hands, his own were trembling. "Iris. You do not need to prove anything to anyone. Get up."